2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was damn cold yesterday morning. 18 degrees with a windchill of 4. At 8 I had a nice 4.5 buck show up at 25 yards. My head was on a swivel the whole time and he still managed it. At 30 I stopped him and tried to draw. Muscles said nope. I tried again and settled my pin and released. The arrow got 2/3 the way there and deflected off a green briar 7' up a tree. No thwack. He jumped and walked a few feet then looked around for 30 seconds before he hugely
Hurriedly walked 10 yards then eased back to a normal pace. 805 a spike came in and fed for a few minutes. Once he eased off I got down to look for my arrow. Apparently I gave the buck a serious buzz cut as there was white hair all over where he stood. I searched for an hour for the arrow and didn't find it. Had a doe ease by at 20 yards as I searched. Hit back in stand until 2pm seeing a spike at 11. I searched 150 yards in the direction the buck went with zero sign.

25ca99e83404d946623953cc3e9344b5.jpg

I moved to another stand and saw a large 2 year old 6 point and a button buck. Does are in hiding it seems.

That's a LOT of hair! Can't believe there was no other sign!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shocked at how much hair was there and nothing else. I can't imagine I wounded him and didn't find anything with him standing there for 45 seconds or so.

Had a ton of movement until 815 today then it died. Going back to where my muzzleloader failed in hopes that buck shows up again.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I was shocked at how much hair was there and nothing else. I can't imagine I wounded him and didn't find anything with him standing there for 45 seconds or so.

Had a ton of movement until 815 today then it died. Going back to where my muzzleloader failed in hopes that buck shows up again.

I'm always amazed at the amount of hair comes off when gutting one out. It seems to grow as your working. But that is kinda nuts from a arrow graze.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son checked the non cellular cameras this morning, and nearly all the bucks we had on camera regularly a couple weeks ago are MIA or very infrequent now. He saw 8 does this evening and one horny spike. The big 16 point was missing a left brow tine in the last picture of him which was about a week ago. My son is lowering his standard and is now targeting a giant body 8 point.:saywhat:

Latest posts

Top Bottom