2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Had a young 8 point cruise by at 60 yards around 730 this morning. I text my buddy and told him "a buck is headed your way" followed by "never mind, i forgot you're at work." After I got down to head to a midday stand, I checked the camera and sent him a pic of buck and a new rub behind the stand.

a1adc9c41925d6cdbe71e978db4a8938.jpg

Tonight things were slow until 5 minutes prior to end of light. A huge bodied deer came stomping in like he owned the place but he hung up at 40 yards for 3 minutes. 2 minutes before end of light, he comes in to 18 yards and try as I might, I couldn't identify him or feel like an ethical shot could be made as he was basically a shadow. He was right in front of my camera for a few minutes so once the other deer vacated, I got down and grabbed the card. Once at the truck, I checked the card. BLANK! I guess i forgot to turn the camera on this morning... mother of God. So now I don't know who I almost had a shot on, either. Taking tomorrow off from hunting. Let's see how moist Thursday and Friday is.

I thought this was going to end up in the crappy trail cam thread for a second there.
That’s a horrible feeling, especially during the rut. Been there done that

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MIH, You’re up for a name change, but I’m going to give you a little more time. I can sympathize with you on the not turning the camera back on deal. Keep at it!:thumb:

Parks, I can’t think of a better reason to miss rifle season. Congrats to your son and his team mates, and I hope their season continues!:thumb:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MIH, You’re up for a name change, but I’m going to give you a little more time. I can sympathize with you on the not turning the camera back on deal. Keep at it!:thumb:

Parks, I can’t think of a better reason to miss rifle season. Congrats to your son and his team mates, and I hope their season continues!:thumb:
I need a moderator....

AintHappenin <-- my new name

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter had surgery yesterday and cannot be left alone so before my wife leaves for a work trip this afternoon, I decided to squeeze in one last bow hunt this morning. No success, but came home with a good story.

At 5:30am, the winds were already up to 25 mph. Since I wouldn’t have another time to bow hunt before rifle season opens on Saturday, I decided to go anyway. I was in the stand before 6:00am and at 20 ft up in a tree, I can tell you the wind was blowing harder than 25. I sat until 8:30am and only saw a spike. I had already planned to be back in the office no later than 9:30am so I packed up and eased down. I pulled my camera card from that stand location and decided I would ease my way up the creek to pull another camera card.

The trail into and across the creek is no more than 40 yds from that camera. I am walking into the wind at a very slow pace. The trail makes a very heavy S turn as it drops into the creek. As I start on the first curve of the S, what do I see??? 8 antler points coming up the trail no more than 8 – 10 ft ahead of me. I could see nothing but the top of the tines so knew he couldn’t see me. I just froze. Knowing I would have no time to nock an arrow and draw, I pulled my ZT350 and thought, “However this goes down, it’s going to be one hell of a story!” In all honesty, since rut is on right now, I was really more concerned that the buck might charge me when he is startled at such a close distance, so the knife was really for self-defense, should it come to that.

The buck takes a couple more steps and turns the curve ahead of me to come face to face with me at no more than 4 ft. I am wearing a full body scent-lok leafy wear suit with a leafy face mask, so I look like a big bush when I’m all decked out, so I’m sure he was thinking something was out of place. We stood there for at least 20 – 30 seconds, just staring at each other. Well, I must have blinked because he turned inside out and bailed off into the creek with a big splash. What was surprising is that he walked up the opposite creek bank, stopped and looked back at me. Again, we stood there for maybe as much as a minute or two, then he flicked his tail and simply walked away. He never snorted, blew, flagged or ran…so I’m thinking he still has no clue what he ran into on that trail. He may be telling his buddies a similar story right now.

A lot of people don’t understand that it’s about the hunt, more than the kill. I came home empty handed this morning, but wearing a big smile.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t experience anything like that from the couch. Awesome story.
A number of years ago, I as creeping down a fork in a trail. Slightly ahead of me and to my left, I could see a decent 8 on the other fork. I was fully camoed out and just froze. He continued and came on the the main trail about twenty yards in front of me. He never had a clue and just continued on. That was at least 10 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter had surgery yesterday and cannot be left alone so before my wife leaves for a work trip this afternoon, I decided to squeeze in one last bow hunt this morning. No success, but came home with a good story.

At 5:30am, the winds were already up to 25 mph. Since I wouldn’t have another time to bow hunt before rifle season opens on Saturday, I decided to go anyway. I was in the stand before 6:00am and at 20 ft up in a tree, I can tell you the wind was blowing harder than 25. I sat until 8:30am and only saw a spike. I had already planned to be back in the office no later than 9:30am so I packed up and eased down. I pulled my camera card from that stand location and decided I would ease my way up the creek to pull another camera card.

The trail into and across the creek is no more than 40 yds from that camera. I am walking into the wind at a very slow pace. The trail makes a very heavy S turn as it drops into the creek. As I start on the first curve of the S, what do I see??? 8 antler points coming up the trail no more than 8 – 10 ft ahead of me. I could see nothing but the top of the tines so knew he couldn’t see me. I just froze. Knowing I would have no time to nock an arrow and draw, I pulled my ZT350 and thought, “However this goes down, it’s going to be one hell of a story!” In all honesty, since rut is on right now, I was really more concerned that the buck might charge me when he is startled at such a close distance, so the knife was really for self-defense, should it come to that.

The buck takes a couple more steps and turns the curve ahead of me to come face to face with me at no more than 4 ft. I am wearing a full body scent-lok leafy wear suit with a leafy face mask, so I look like a big bush when I’m all decked out, so I’m sure he was thinking something was out of place. We stood there for at least 20 – 30 seconds, just staring at each other. Well, I must have blinked because he turned inside out and bailed off into the creek with a big splash. What was surprising is that he walked up the opposite creek bank, stopped and looked back at me. Again, we stood there for maybe as much as a minute or two, then he flicked his tail and simply walked away. He never snorted, blew, flagged or ran…so I’m thinking he still has no clue what he ran into on that trail. He may be telling his buddies a similar story right now.

A lot of people don’t understand that it’s about the hunt, more than the kill. I came home empty handed this morning, but wearing a big smile.
Let me back up. Got all excited about you encounter. Prayers for you daughter, hope all went well!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw my first decent buck this year. About 5:10 two does come running in and freeze. They know something is up and I’m thinking there is no way they can wind me from that angle. I’ve got a crosswind and they come in almost straight to me. They don’t blow out, just freeze up. 15 seconds later, here comes a nice,tall 8 with good mass. His head is down and he’s after a doe. He gets to them and winds me. He blows out of there like a freight train. About that time the wind hits me square in the back. I got down and out in a hurry. Didn’t want to educate any more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom