2019 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2019 Garden Thread for the record. Been a great year....radishes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet peas, onions, asparagus, cucumbers, peppers, squash, tomatoes did great. First time Brussel sprouts struggled with planting a few weeks late. Beets got pounded with pea size hail twice early in the year. Fall sweet peas, broccoli, cabbage coming on strong.
20190922_082539.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just heard about this rifle this morning and this looks like the perfect thread to share it in! Henry GardenGun

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/garden-gun-smoothbore-22/

.22 Plinkster did a vid a couple few weeks ago, not much use for it since I don't shoot snakes.. We'll be doing raised beds this next year and I have hopes of having the greenhouse up by the 1st of the year.. This year I didn't plant as I had too much else on me plate.. Did get some asparagus from the patch though..
Nice looking garden there @magna19 .. Are those marigolds to fend off insects ?

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 Plinkster did a vid a couple few weeks ago, not much use for it since I don't shoot snakes.. We'll be doing raised beds this next year and I have hopes of having the greenhouse up by the 1st of the year.. This year I didn't plant as I had too much else on me plate.. Did get some asparagus from the patch though..
Nice looking garden there @magna19 .. Are those marigolds to fend off insects ?
Yes they were intended to deter the rabbits and maybe rats a few years ago and worked so well I continued every year. I found out it seems to work better each year better than the previous with the marigolds. This year I haven't had to spray for one critter in the garden. Or maybe its the cat. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our asparagus bed has been in for 30 years for half of it, and 20 or so years for the other half. We got tons of spears this spring, and usually quit picking around the first of June. By that time we have grown weary of eating so much of it, but always look forward to the spring when it comes up again. Knowing we were going to be gone this summer, put in three tomato plants. Got a dozen or so green ones that we took along with us to ripen in brown paper sacks, and they did just fine.
Garden is a grass and weed jungle now. Did pick four small tomatoes though. Lots of blooms, but its so late in the season, they probably won't ripen.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the wait for the 3rd year before first harvest on the asparagus and it was well worth it. Also did sweet corn this year for the first time and will double the amount next year. It was delicious!!!!

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what its worth.
With my hobbies Hunting, Fishing, Gardening, I use the Mesonet quite a lot. One observation is this years low temp for Guthrie in Sept. as of the 23rd is the highest on the Mesonets records by far other than 1998 Sept. All previous years in Sept had around 14 days with a low of 66 or lower and usually 4-6 days with a low in the 50's. Not one day yet this year in Sept has the low been below 67 deg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom