2019 holiday anterless gun season ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took my youngest, 15 year old, out for the first time on the 23rd. Never pushed either of my kids as I wanted it to be all their choice. Was gone from Nov 22nd up until Dec 20th. No real prep at my parents 20 acres and just siting amongst some logs and along comes a doe but still about 15 minutes from legal shooting time. As this one walked off my son’s alarm on his phone goes off and he gets the death stare because dad asked and he reassured that all alarms were off and phone on airplane mode. Only wanted it for the clock. Figured our chance of a shot was lost but didn’t let him know that’s what I thought. Well right at shooting time up walks a doe and just strolls up to within 25 yards of us and turns broadside facing away. I have him all set up and he clams up and tells me to take the shot. I tell him I’m there for him to get a deer and that I’ll get one later. After a little back and forth I realize he’s not quite ready so I shoulder his 6.5 CM and squeeze one off. She jumps and runs about 50 yards before finding her final resting place. Son got a crossbow for Christmas today and some cabela’s gift cards so we’re off to Fayetteville to get some broad heads and anything else we can convince the wife we “need” and then planning to go back out with the rifle and crossbow for the rest of the season.
Welcome to OSA! Congrats on the doe! Good luck on another!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Took my youngest, 15 year old, out for the first time on the 23rd. Never pushed either of my kids as I wanted it to be all their choice. Was gone from Nov 22nd up until Dec 20th. No real prep at my parents 20 acres and just siting amongst some logs and along comes a doe but still about 15 minutes from legal shooting time. As this one walked off my son’s alarm on his phone goes off and he gets the death stare because dad asked and he reassured that all alarms were off and phone on airplane mode. Only wanted it for the clock. Figured our chance of a shot was lost but didn’t let him know that’s what I thought. Well right at shooting time up walks a doe and just strolls up to within 25 yards of us and turns broadside facing away. I have him all set up and he clams up and tells me to take the shot. I tell him I’m there for him to get a deer and that I’ll get one later. After a little back and forth I realize he’s not quite ready so I shoulder his 6.5 CM and squeeze one off. She jumps and runs about 50 yards before finding her final resting place. Son got a crossbow for Christmas today and some cabela’s gift cards so we’re off to Fayetteville to get some broad heads and anything else we can convince the wife we “need” and then planning to go back out with the rifle and crossbow for the rest of the season.
Yep,we need some pics! Congrats on the doe.

creekrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep,we need some pics! Congrats on the doe.

this is the best I currently have. I’ll grab some of the setup, or lack thereof, when we go back out.

Attachments

• 3084980D-9730-4195-BE81-277A1960B425.jpeg
    3084980D-9730-4195-BE81-277A1960B425.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 210

Latest posts

Top Bottom