2020 Deer Recoveries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jax is my chocolate lab and is a UBT Certified tracking dog. I do all of his training and frankly he makes me look like a professional. I tell a few people that it is pretty easy. I keep a pocket full of jerky treats. If Jax does good, he gets a treat. If he doesn't do good, I get a treat. Lol

One of Jax Fall/Winter duties is tracking wounded deer for hunters. 2020 season has been a busy season. So far, we have received at least 46 calls for assistance. Unfortunately, I am not able to assist everyone who calls. I work 10 hour work shifts on the road and rotate from days to nights. After a 200 mile work day, it isn't easy to hit the road for another 3 hour round trip drive and possibly 2 hours on a track. (Hunters usually call a tracker as a last resort) Opening weekend of rifle season yielded 11 calls. 2 of those calls were 94 miles apart. When I have to turn a request down, I will try and refer them to another tracker.

We have taken 22 tracks so far and recovered 10 deer. 2 of the deer we were called to track were confirmed to still be alive from trail cams or being seen again by the hunter. It would take me a few hours to type out every story out so I am not going to do that. I will share a few pictures to help tell the story.

Snapchat-1487367581.jpg

Snapchat-1699768360.jpg

Snapchat-1471155715.jpg
Snapchat-2029203841.jpg

AFVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you and other trackers provide an incredible service. I applaud you!! As a life long hunter (close to 50 years now in the field), I’ve lost 3 big game animals...a mule deer buck, cow elk and a black bear. Each still haunt me when I think of them, but I know it unfortunately happens. It was just last year that I mortally wounded a large bear in the mountains of Idaho. Extreme terrain prevented me from locating it. We searched for several days to no avail. No doubt in my mind if I had someone like you to call the end of my hunt would have had a different ending. Again, many thanks for what you do.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome dog!

I know nothing about tracking deer with dogs here in Oklahoma so this is an honest question. Is a 50/50 chance of recovery what one should expect using a tracking dog?

I don't know why but that kind of surprises me. I was thinking that the recovery rate average would be higher. If a dog only has a 50/50 chance what chance does a human have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom