2020 Deer Recoveries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Needing a tracking dog has become an epidemic. What did all these folks do before it was legal?!?

I know sh*t can happen, and anyone can lose a deer. It happened to me this year for the first time since I was a kid, and I’m still sick about it.

I agree with Huntemup in that many hunters today are not adequately prepared to shoot at a live animal, because they haven’t spend enough time practicing shooting at a target. I don’t know how you fix that, because there’s really no accountability.

As far as the rate of success in recovery, I believe there are a few trackers that won’t take a track unless it’s a “slam dunk” there by making their success rate higher, and it gives them more “street cred” for self promotion. I could name names, but I won’t. Oklahomabassin is NOT one of them.:thumb:
I really think people didn't practice this year as much as years past. Ammo was hard to find. But I also think overall the number of shots taken (gun/archery) is significantly higher this year due to the meat shortage earlier in the year, and the increased number of hunters in the woods. Hunters are likely to set a harvest record this year, but definitely show an increased number of kills compared to last several years.

I would love to watch Jax work! I just love watching good dogs of any type do their job. Thanks for your service!
Thank you! I enjoy it also. Seeing him tackle obstacles and eagerness to work just thrills me. When I get his harness out to put on him he bounces around and is giddy with excitement. (We only use the harness when tracking)
I would too but I would need a SxS to keep up with him.
In Oklahoma we have to track on a leash. I keep him slowed down as much as I can.
The numbers are actually lower than that but not neccesarily because the dogs arent doing their part. People don’t spend enough time shooting and their shot placement is lacking. Even when they are good shots, they take bad shots at deer that are not positioned correctly to do mortal damage.

As a consequence, there are a lot of wounded deer that survive the season or at least several days after being shot due to hunters not being so good at killing.

The best tracking dog in the world isn’t gonna fix that problem, so his dogs success rate this year is remarkable all things considered.

Good job, jax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true! Thank you!

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been busy busy this year. 18 requests so far.
6 tracks in muzzle loader season. 3 recoveries, 2 deer still alive with trail cam evidence and 1 hunter who doesn't have cell cams hasn't checked yet.

2 muzzle loader deer were double lunged and covered a combined 600 yards. 1 bled the first 95 yards. The other didn't bleed a drop. The bullets didn't exit.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll repeat what I posted last year. This needing a tracking dog has become an epidemic. The TX bow hunting message board I’m on has people calling for a dog at least on a daily basis. I’m just glad it’s legal, and there are folks like Oklahomabasin that want to do it. Otherwise, there’d be a lot of deer being lost.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a great tracking dog and I will call him if I shoot a nice buck just for the added security of knowing the dog is gonna be better than me at tracking. Now if I see it go down or hear it crash I will also call him just in case he’s training another dog and wants an easy track for it.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About that time of the year again.
This might be a stupid question, but can dogs track different species with equal effectiveness? As in - could a dog trained on whitetails track other animals and have similar results?

ETA: I think that’s an awesome service you offer. Knock on wood, I’ve never needed services like yours but I know it’s always a possibility- regardless of intention/capability. And thanks for sharing the recovery pics, those are really cool.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but can dogs track different species with equal effectiveness? As in - could a dog trained on whitetails track other animals and have similar results?

ETA: I think that’s an awesome service you offer. Knock on wood, I’ve never needed services like yours but I know it’s always a possibility- regardless of intention/capability. And thanks for sharing the recovery pics, those are really cool.
Yes, a trained dog can track other animals. We don't have bear in this area of the state, but I know trackers in SE OK that track deer and occasionally a bear. I had a call to track a real nice elk last year. Archery hunter had good video of the "back whack" and the elk getting up and shaking it off as he walked away.

Thank you! I am not sure if I posted any on here last year or not. It was the busiest season I have had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom