2020 Game Cam Pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sincerely dislike all locust tree varieties whether deer like them or not. Those thorns suck!
At least the thorns on the Hedge trees are small. I got one of the honey locust tree thorns under the knee cap one time when swinging on a quail. Didn't realize it until a week later when it got infected and had to go in for surgery to remove it. The barbs on those only allow them to work in, not out. I knew something happened when it went in, but didn't realize that I'd been punctured. The thrill of the hunt or something I guess. LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch! I always worry about that and my ATV tires. Evil trees.
We have "girdlers" at one of the farms. Its a caterpillar that works its way around the tips of the trees eating the bark and the wood. When they get to the center, the limb drops off with it's 2" thorns. Spraying is the only way to get rid of them but the trees are 70' tall. I don't have a way to spray that high. Airplane spraying? Maybe. Need to do some more research on them.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/twig-girdler-control.htm

I typically walk the edges of the fields before harvest to pitch out the limbs.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really need to burn my place in the spring. I’m getting over run with tamaracks, cedars, and locusts. The state or NRCS used to have a cost share program for getting rid of cedars, but I haven’t found anything online that indicates they still do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom