2020 waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I, and the fellows I hunted with at the time, gave up hunting waterfowl many, many years ago because none of us found a way to cook them that we actually enjoyed eating them. And, we wouldn't shoot what we wouldn't eat.

Pluck the breast, leave the skin on and breast out. Grill medium rare. Geese are good like that too. Lesser snows and Ross's are the best of the geese, the breast meat is about 20 shades lighter than a Canada of any species. Specks are not bad either, also lighter meat than a Canada.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I take a large goose breast and soak it in ice water for 24 hours. Then I open a big pocket in the breast and put a spoon of horseradish and some crumbled blue cheese inside the breast. Grill it rare almost like prime rib. Very tender and delicious. PO mans prime rib.
You can also put onions, jalapeños etc in there. The secret is the soaking and getting the game flavor and/or blood out of it.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zip. 0. Nada.
Had 7 mallards total pass over high and didn’t even look at the spread.Some birds left as I walked in...but hardly any compared to what usually leaves every morning. Very fitting end to a strange season

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And....the wife stopped by a fru fru dog store a few years ago. They sold dehydrated duck feet in bulk for $0.80 each. The dogs thought they were the best thing ever. So the diy version calls for a 24-48 hour soaking in salt water in the bottom of the fridge. Then 6-8 hours in the dehydrator. I’ll do a big batch at once and freeze them in “weekly” sized snack packs.

The dogs expect the stash to last until next nov but it never does.:cry11:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And....the wife stopped by a fru fru dog store a few years ago. They sold dehydrated duck feet in bulk for $0.80 each. The dogs thought they were the best thing ever. So the diy version calls for a 24-48 hour soaking in salt water in the bottom of the fridge. Then 6-8 hours in the dehydrator. I’ll do a big batch at once and freeze them in “weekly” sized snack packs.

The dogs expect the stash to last until next nov but it never does.:cry11:
My lab is not impressed with my duck hunting abilities either.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at the weather for next Saturday, if you have a youth or veteran who can duck hunt, take them, there should be birds here I would think. It will still be goose season for everyone as well next Saturday.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2021-1-31_20-42-29.jpeg
Boys ended the duck season with a 4 man limit. No it is not on the coast.
Then 3 of them jumped a pond and shot 21 geese.

Latest posts

Top Bottom