2021 Deer Chatter/Pics/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I finally got on the board Friday. Been trying to get my girl on him all season. Hasn’t been consistent until this week. We hunted him twice and got skunked each time. Well this week he was showing at the feeder in daylight for 3 days in a row. I took off work and she couldn’t get off. Not even a little bit early. So before the neighbors could get him I went after him. Wind was perfect on Thursday for my blind on the feeder. About 6pm I seen him about 80 yards out. For some reason he sensed me or something and went back in the woods. I thought for sure he’d be back since it was so early. Never seen anything else. So Friday I went and spread a bunch of corn and was gonna start watching the cameras for him again. I was sure I boogered him up or something. Before leaving the property I remembered I had an old tasco on a trail close to where I seen him. Luckily it was still working. Checked the card and he was in daylight every day that week on that trail. Actually had an old stand there so I went and replaced the ratchet straps on it and trimmed a few branches and decided to give it another try. I could see my feeder partially from this stand. Anout 6:45 I seen about 7 or 8 does headed to the feeder. Then about 7pm a young 8 comes down the trail I was sitting on. Then a minute later a little fork horn comes. I was ready now, just knew he was gonna come. Sure enough about 3 minutes later he came down the trail. It happened fast, I had a small window to get him in. Quartering away shot with 100 grain 3 blade Nap mechanical (love em). He mule kicked and ran 20 yards where he head butted a cedar and piled up. By the time we took pictures I was covered in blood. So did some in black and white. Figuring high 140s but haven’t taped him yet. Stress relief to get one down this early in the season.

Attachments

• 89E16DAF-15D2-4FA7-AB34-C2156A451431.jpeg
    89E16DAF-15D2-4FA7-AB34-C2156A451431.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 0EEF6CB7-5D44-42D0-9573-DD6C3959DDCF.jpeg
    0EEF6CB7-5D44-42D0-9573-DD6C3959DDCF.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 102
  • A36AF134-29E0-46B3-BDCD-96F7D9C8D65A.jpeg
    A36AF134-29E0-46B3-BDCD-96F7D9C8D65A.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 95
  • 1CA859FE-BFD9-4D4D-8540-A5610619603F.png
    1CA859FE-BFD9-4D4D-8540-A5610619603F.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 102

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn’t know since my damn 3g cell cam is only sending a fourth or less of the pictures taken. I have one new 4g camera in my possession and another on the way. I’m hoping it’s just the fact that 3g is being phased out and not a real service issue, and I’ll know next week. 🤬
I think they are dead. The ones I got from you don't recognize the sim card anymore.
I bought two of the latest models so hopefully they will be around for awhile.
I just need to find out what size the plug for the solar accessory is. I've called Spartan twice and they act like they didn't know there was an accessory plug-in for solar on the camera? It's a 3.5 mm X something. I've ordered a half dozen multi packs from Amazon that should cover every size adaptor but none work.
Wondering if the Spartan plug is proprietary?
I have two brand new Stealth Cam solar with battery rigs. Just trying to find the adaptor that will fit both and let me use them. The rechargables seem to be working OK so far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally got on the board Friday. Been trying to get my girl on him all season. Hasn’t been consistent until this week. We hunted him twice and got skunked each time. Well this week he was showing at the feeder in daylight for 3 days in a row. I took off work and she couldn’t get off. Not even a little bit early. So before the neighbors could get him I went after him. Wind was perfect on Thursday for my blind on the feeder. About 6pm I seen him about 80 yards out. For some reason he sensed me or something and went back in the woods. I thought for sure he’d be back since it was so early. Never seen anything else. So Friday I went and spread a bunch of corn and was gonna start watching the cameras for him again. I was sure I boogered him up or something. Before leaving the property I remembered I had an old tasco on a trail close to where I seen him. Luckily it was still working. Checked the card and he was in daylight every day that week on that trail. Actually had an old stand there so I went and replaced the ratchet straps on it and trimmed a few branches and decided to give it another try. I could see my feeder partially from this stand. Anout 6:45 I seen about 7 or 8 does headed to the feeder. Then about 7pm a young 8 comes down the trail I was sitting on. Then a minute later a little fork horn comes. I was ready now, just knew he was gonna come. Sure enough about 3 minutes later he came down the trail. It happened fast, I had a small window to get him in. Quartering away shot with 100 grain 3 blade Nap mechanical (love em). He mule kicked and ran 20 yards where he head butted a cedar and piled up. By the time we took pictures I was covered in blood. So did some in black and white. Figuring high 140s but haven’t taped him yet. Stress relief to get one down this early in the season.
Heck of a buck! Congrats on taking the time to pattern him. Your strategy worked!!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats, bowhunter! Great buck!

Work has been hell lately working 22 hours Friday into Saturday morning, coaching a football game then another 8 hours Saturday evening. My daughter decided she wanted to shoot a deer this year and 2/3 of youth weekend was gone. We got a late start this morning and decided to just take a walk. Saw a fawn but didn't have a shot. Grabbed lunch and decided to go back in the afternoon. About 6:05, 2 yearlings came trotting in at 80 yards. I told my daughter to wait for the doe that was surely behind them. Not 30 seconds later, here she came.

There was a welded wire fence between us and the deer, so my daughter didn't feel she could aim for the heart. After a bit of coaching and inwardly enjoying watching her get the fever, she touched off a shot. The window where the deer were was small, so the doe disappeared quickly from view. We went to where she stood and no blood. I followed one trail 30 years with zero sign. We returned to the shot location and followed another trail. After 40 yards, 2 specks of blood. I'm not feeling confident at this point. We slowly followed the trail 100 yards and found the doe dead. It was such a great feeling for myself as a father. She was pretty ecstatic until i told her she had to hold the deer for a photo lol. It was a long night for me, but I'd do it all over again.

20211017_182846.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big congrats Bowhunter!!! That’s a great buck!!! :thumb:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Work has been hell lately working 22 hours Friday into Saturday morning, coaching a football game then another 8 hours Saturday evening. My daughter decided she wanted to shoot a deer this year and 2/3 of youth weekend was gone. We got a late start this morning and decided to just take a walk. Saw a fawn but didn't have a shot. Grabbed lunch and decided to go back in the afternoon. About 6:05, 2 yearlings came trotting in at 80 yards. I told my daughter to wait for the doe that was surely behind them. Not 30 seconds later, here she came.

There was a welded wire fence between us and the deer, so my daughter didn't feel she could aim for the heart. After a bit of coaching and inwardly enjoying watching her get the fever, she touched off a shot. The window where the deer were was small, so the doe disappeared quickly from view. We went to where she stood and no blood. I followed one trail 30 years with zero sign. We returned to the shot location and followed another trail. After 40 yards, 2 specks of blood. I'm not feeling confident at this point. We slowly followed the trail 100 yards and found the doe dead. It was such a great feeling for myself as a father. She was pretty ecstatic until i told her she had to hold the deer for a photo lol. It was a long night for me, but I'd do it all over again.

View attachment 228798
As much as I like hunting deer myself, I‘ve gotten more gratification over the years from getting my kids on one. I commend you for your effort and coaching to “make it happen”!!! Pass on the congrats to Brooke!!!:thumb:

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outstanding......congrats...!!!

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats! Awesome deer.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 228798
Awesome, nothing better than the kiddo getting one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom