2021 Deer Chatter/Pics/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, bowhunter! Great buck!

Work has been hell lately working 22 hours Friday into Saturday morning, coaching a football game then another 8 hours Saturday evening. My daughter decided she wanted to shoot a deer this year and 2/3 of youth weekend was gone. We got a late start this morning and decided to just take a walk. Saw a fawn but didn't have a shot. Grabbed lunch and decided to go back in the afternoon. About 6:05, 2 yearlings came trotting in at 80 yards. I told my daughter to wait for the doe that was surely behind them. Not 30 seconds later, here she came.

There was a welded wire fence between us and the deer, so my daughter didn't feel she could aim for the heart. After a bit of coaching and inwardly enjoying watching her get the fever, she touched off a shot. The window where the deer were was small, so the doe disappeared quickly from view. We went to where she stood and no blood. I followed one trail 30 years with zero sign. We returned to the shot location and followed another trail. After 40 yards, 2 specks of blood. I'm not feeling confident at this point. We slowly followed the trail 100 yards and found the doe dead. It was such a great feeling for myself as a father. She was pretty ecstatic until i told her she had to hold the deer for a photo lol. It was a long night for me, but I'd do it all over again.

View attachment 228798
Big doe too so that's an additional plus! Please pass on congrats to your Daughter!!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm going to euro mount the skull for her. I skinned the head today and will be getting the jaw bone aged. I knew it was a big doe but dang.
20211018_155606.jpg
20211018_155614.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a serious ethical/courtesy question. I’ve stuck to a one “trophy” buck per year rule as long as I’ve been hunting in OK. I almost broke the rule last year but didn’t quite pull it off. As of right now, I only have one trophy buck on camera that I know of, but I’ll be checking non cell cams tomorrow and know more about the current situation.
Since I’ve already killed a “trophy“ buck, would I be a horrible person to kill the other one that I know the neighbors are hunting? :anyone:

I will say that my neighbors don’t subscribe to the one buck per year rule, and I’m pretty sure what they would do given the same situation. I just don’t want to be viewed as greedy.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a serious ethical/courtesy question. I’ve stuck to a one “trophy” buck per year rule as long as I’ve been hunting in OK. I almost broke the rule last year but didn’t quite pull it off. As of right now, I only have one trophy buck on camera that I know of, but I’ll be checking non cell cams tomorrow and know more about the current situation.
Since I’ve already killed a “trophy“ buck, would I be a horrible person to kill the other one that I know the neighbors are hunting? :anyone:

I will say that my neighbors don’t subscribe to the one buck per year rule, and I’m pretty sure what they would do given the same situation. I just don’t want to be viewed as greedy.
2 buck tags = 2 "trophy" bucks

If the deer is on your land and you have a tag, I say go for it!! I would without thinking twice.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Since I know both parties I'll remain neutral.... 😀

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate your ethics, but if you don’t shoot him your neighbors with less ethics will. If he’s a trophy, why not your trophy?
I say Hunt him
Let me be clear, I’m not saying my neighbors are unethical. They just tend to try to fill every tag they have. :anyone:
Oh sh!&! Is it Hoddy?
No, it’s not!:lmfao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom