2021 Deer Chatter/Pics/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome buck makeithappen!

currently in the stand for the first time in weeks. Came over last night after getting home to replace batteries in cams and check stands.
Stand is in the middle of 100 acres of uncut milo to the North and 130 acres to the South.
They are staying well fed and not paying a lot of attention to my corn feeder.
Good buck with a doe on the feeder at 8am this morning, but that’s it for daytime activity.
Hopefull a cruiser buck or mature doe will wander by shortly. Don’t care which.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon was warm but per the last warm day, i figured bucks would move. My daughter decided to go with me but wasn't sure she wanted to shoot my 30-06 (buying a kid friendly round is on the agenda this year). We got out at 330 and had 5 fawns come in at 430. At 445 a year and a half old doe came in. She was spooky and kept staring right through us. After a 20 minute stare down, she walked the fence line separating the horse area from the woods, feeding. She held up at an opening from the woods where most deer enter from.

10 minutes later, there's branches breaking in the woods behind her. Out steps a buck, shaking his head like a dog that just got out of the water. He checked the doe who took off like a light. My heart sank, going he wouldn't follow. I asked my daughter if she wanted to shoot. She said she wanted me to. I looked at the buck and realized it was Renault (named after the French tank with a little gun). He's busted me twice within minutes after shooting light. I had a quartering to shot, but held off. He paralleled us and walked toward the fawns, stopping behind a brush pile. He took 4 steps toward the fawns and i pulled the trigger. I heard him crash quickly and the celebration ensued.

I usually let deer sit for 30 minutes when archery hunting but felt there wasn't a need in this instance. We found sparse blood so i went to where i last saw him, the edge of a creek. My daughter asked if we were going to have to cross it. I scratched my head and said i think so. While scratching my head, i spotted more blood to the left and a dead deer 15' beyond that, not across the creek. Thank God.

Laying hands on an old deer that you played chess with and finally beat, is a rare feeling for me. Having my daughter there was icing on the cake. I wish i had a set of scales to weigh him. I broke my drag rope and bent a deer hanger on him. The heaviest buck I've seen in Central Oklahoma.View attachment 237401
View attachment 237402View attachment 237403View attachment 237404
Great deer, congrats!

JT708

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great deer
Saturday afternoon was warm but per the last warm day, i figured bucks would move. My daughter decided to go with me but wasn't sure she wanted to shoot my 30-06 (buying a kid friendly round is on the agenda this year). We got out at 330 and had 5 fawns come in at 430. At 445 a year and a half old doe came in. She was spooky and kept staring right through us. After a 20 minute stare down, she walked the fence line separating the horse area from the woods, feeding. She held up at an opening from the woods where most deer enter from.

10 minutes later, there's branches breaking in the woods behind her. Out steps a buck, shaking his head like a dog that just got out of the water. He checked the doe who took off like a light. My heart sank, going he wouldn't follow. I asked my daughter if she wanted to shoot. She said she wanted me to. I looked at the buck and realized it was Renault (named after the French tank with a little gun). He's busted me twice within minutes after shooting light. I had a quartering to shot, but held off. He paralleled us and walked toward the fawns, stopping behind a brush pile. He took 4 steps toward the fawns and i pulled the trigger. I heard him crash quickly and the celebration ensued.

I usually let deer sit for 30 minutes when archery hunting but felt there wasn't a need in this instance. We found sparse blood so i went to where i last saw him, the edge of a creek. My daughter asked if we were going to have to cross it. I scratched my head and said i think so. While scratching my head, i spotted more blood to the left and a dead deer 15' beyond that, not across the creek. Thank God.

Laying hands on an old deer that you played chess with and finally beat, is a rare feeling for me. Having my daughter there was icing on the cake. I wish i had a set of scales to weigh him. I broke my drag rope and bent a deer hanger on him. The heaviest buck I've seen in

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 18 year old daughter got it done this afternoon. This was a unique deer but it was special because of my daughter’s situation.

You see, when we had the COVID lock down in early 2020, the situation took its toll on her. As a result of being homebound, losing her softball season, not being able to see her friends and the stress of all the fearmongoring regarding COVID, she developed an eating disorder. Anorexia specifically. We caught it early and got her into several treatment programs. She was improving until she herself got COVID in early 2021. As a result, she went downhill fast, to the point we had to hospitalize her for her eating disorder in August, in Texas. Though she was improving, her hospital stay was long. She was missing a lot of her senior year and even spent her 18th birthday in the hospital. Of all things, she was distraught that she was going to miss rifle season. I told her that you never know, but if she makes great progress, she might be able to make it.

Well, she was released from the hospital yesterday. Came home last night, took cap and gown pictures at school this morning and we hauled ass to our place in Bristow this afternoon. She got in her stand at 3:30 and popped this guy at 75 yards at 4:30. She made a great shot with her 308 and watched him run across the food plot head on into a tree, breaking two points off his left side.

It has been an emotional rollercoaster for our whole family but hunting this afternoon and her success made her feel a little closer to normal.

AAEEDE04-7F11-4C12-8263-2F8E0A1ED827.jpeg
36E783EC-58E9-42CB-9D52-EB478E807171.jpeg
ACDE2838-FD29-4290-92AE-794265473B45.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 18 year old daughter got it done this afternoon. This was a unique deer but it was special because of my daughter’s situation.

You see, when we had the COVID lock down in early 2020, the situation took its toll on her. As a result of being homebound, losing her softball season, not being able to see her friends and the stress of all the fearmongoring regarding COVID, she developed an eating disorder. Anorexia specifically. We caught it early and got her into several treatment programs. She was improving until she herself got COVID in early 2021. As a result, she went downhill fast, to the point we had to hospitalize her for her eating disorder in August, in Texas. Though she was improving, her hospital stay was long. She was missing a lot of her senior year and even spent her 18th birthday in the hospital. Of all things, she was distraught that she was going to miss rifle season. I told her that you never know, but if she makes great progress, she might be able to make it.

Well, she was released from the hospital yesterday. Came home last night, took cap and gown pictures at school this morning and we hauled ass to our place in Bristow this afternoon. She got in her stand at 3:30 and popped this guy at 75 yards at 4:30. She made a great shot with her 308 and watched him run across the food plot head on into a tree, breaking two points off his left side.

It has been an emotional rollercoaster for our whole family but hunting this afternoon and her success made her feel a little closer to normal.

View attachment 237810View attachment 237811View attachment 237813

OUTSTANDING! Words just cannot express ....... Congrats to her and best wishes!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 237810View attachment 237811View attachment 237813
Glad you got a handle on the disorder early with congrats on the fine buck for your daughter!

Latest posts

Top Bottom