2021 dove season thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good to see there are doves somewhere. I went to a pond in Caddo last week and saw 2.

This morning though, at my house in town, saw 3 the size of pigeons in the front yard.
Eurasian collared dove. They have a black ring around their neck. If you get a few of those in your bag, makes for a pretty healthy limit.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddies and I had a good day out (4x10 each), pooled our kills and I made some dove jaegerschnitzel. Mushroom and onion gravy (with broth made from the dove bones), roasted small potatoes, green beans and brioche bread...washed down with some Franziskaner. I enjoy poppers as much as the next guy, but I doubt I'll ever make anything else with dove if I have a say in the matter. Wife and kiddos prefer them this way, too. If y'all want the recipe I'd be happy to share it.

Snapchat-1926743904.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddies and I had a good day out (4x10 each), pooled our kills and I made some dove jaegerschnitzel. Mushroom and onion gravy (with broth made from the dove bones), roasted small potatoes, green beans and brioche bread...washed down with some Franziskaner. I enjoy poppers as much as the next guy, but I doubt I'll ever make anything else with dove if I have a say in the matter. Wife and kiddos prefer them this way, too. If y'all want the recipe I'd be happy to share it.

Well, of course! We always like recipes! Looks good!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 222998
Looks good. Share the recipe please.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dove Jaegerschnitzel
Feeds 4

Ingredients:
Breast meat from 12 to 16 doves
1 to 1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
5 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or butter
Flour for dusting
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup dove, duck or beef stock
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
If you want to step up your game, make dove stock instead of using beef or chicken stock. Roast the breasted dove carcasses in a 400°F oven until they are good and browned, about 45 minutes. Crush them, cover in 5 cups of water, put a lid on the pot and simmer overnight. Strain and you’re good to go.

Place each dove breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
Set a large frying pan over high heat for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms to the hot, dry pan. Shake them around so they don’t stick too much and cook the mushrooms until they give up their water. Add 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and onions and stir-fry everything until the onions begin to brown. Remove the mushrooms and onions and set aside.
Dust the dove breasts in flour if you want to. Add the remaining fat to the pan and let it heat over medium-high heat. Do not let it smoke. Sear the cutlets for 1 minute on the first side. Flip the cutlets and sear another minute for medium doneness. Remove the cutlets and keep them warm.
Add the 2 tablespoons flour and mix with the fat in the pan. Turn the heat to medium and let the flour-and-fat mixture cook until it is the color of coffee-with-cream. Slowly pour in the stock, plus any juices that have come off the cutlets while they rest. You should have a thick gravy. If it is thin, let this boil down a minute or two. If it is really thick, turn off the heat, wait for the sauce to stop bubbling and stir in the sour cream. Add the mushrooms and onions back to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Pour this over the cutlets and serve ASAP. Garnish with a little parsley if that's your thing.

Can't remember where I found this recipe, since it's been saved since the end of last dove season...so credit is due to a random internet person. It took about an hour and a half from start to finish, since I slow roasted the potatoes and had a toddler to manage while the wife dealt with his brother.
Didn't have any bacon fat handy, and used kerrigold butter to devastating effect. We combined the leftovers on day 2 in the cast iron with baby potatoes and some eggs...heck of a breakfast scramble. I imagine it'd be just as good served over a bed of crispy hash browns too.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teslawasframed, great way to serve dove besides the good old poppers.
Dove poppers and a football game is great in early fall, or used to be before football became....nevermind.

We made some dove and kimchi pancakes with our small haul. Next is some dove dumplings to make Asian style dumpling soup.

Been seeing a lot around and can't get back out yet. Hopefully can put a bruisin on them next week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom