2021 duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've kept in touch off and on through the years but I got a call last night from a 56 yr. old fella (I'm easing up on 72) that I've known for around 30 years that I introduced to deer and duck hunting back around 1990.......not having a shotgun or deer rifle at the time he hunted with my loaner firearms for the first year or two till he could afford his own and did well with both.

Anyway, he gained access late last fall to some private land up around Harrah (to waterfowl hunt only) that has a pretty good size water shed on it and although he didn't hunt it last year he said that the ducks were using it hot and heavy and it was not receiving any hunting pressure and he invited me to go with him this year.......not having hunted ducks since early 1995 naturally I jumped at the chance to duck hunt again.

Started looking through things and I found 6 1/2 boxes of my favorite steel shells from back in the day in the hall closet that I always purchased from Fred Baker Firearms in OKC.........Activ 12 ga., 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz. #3 shot and the sticker on the box says $10.38.

Can hardly wait till fall and being able to sit in a duck blind again with my Browning "Humpback" A-5 that I purchased new 43 years ago..

A5.jpg

Activ.jpg

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We've kept in touch off and on through the years but I got a call last night from a 56 yr. old fella (I'm easing up on 72) that I've known for around 30 years that I introduced to deer and duck hunting back around 1990.......not having a shotgun or deer rifle at the time he hunted with my loaner firearms for the first year or two till he could afford his own and did well with both.

Anyway, he gained access late last fall to some private land up around Harrah (to waterfowl hunt only) that has a pretty good size water shed on it and although he didn't hunt it last year he said that the ducks were using it hot and heavy and it was not receiving any hunting pressure and he invited me to go with him this year.......not having hunted ducks since early 1995 naturally I jumped at the chance to duck hunt again.

Started looking through things and I found 6 1/2 boxes of my favorite steel shells from back in the day in the hall closet that I always purchased from Fred Baker Firearms in OKC.........Activ 12 ga., 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz. #3 shot and the sticker on the box says $10.38.

Can hardly wait till fall and being able to sit in a duck blind again with my Browning "Humpback" A-5 that I purchased new 43 years ago..

View attachment 221439

View attachment 221440
Shot a bunch of the Activ shells at geese back in the day. Interesting design with it being all plastic.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live close to Sooner lake. I got to go three times late season last year. We blew it by not setting up for geese as blues and snows were all over the area, we got only 2 Mallard drake's and 3 Blacks, the Dog Rocky barked at about 10 blue and 20 speckled and a few snow geese flying right behind us while we were focused on the lake. I think if we had placed decoys on the ground behind our blind we could have shot several blues and snows

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live close to Sooner lake. I got to go three times late season last year. We blew it by not setting up for geese as blues and snows were all over the area, we got only 2 Mallard drake's and 3 Blacks, the Dog Rocky barked at about 10 blue and 20 speckled and a few snow geese flying right behind us while we were focused on the lake. I think if we had placed decoys on the ground behind our blind we could have shot several blues and snows
We have had lot's of set ups like that over the years, facing the wrong direction, or having all the birds come in directly behind us.

When everything is in your favor, there is nothing any better than cupped wings and feet down...

Latest posts

Top Bottom