2021 Waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a waterfowl hunter, but I am collecting one of each species (that visit the ranch annually) for my wall.

Saw my first Merganser for the season yesterday, so I pond hopped him and will be taking him to the taxidermist in another week.

View attachment 240150
Hooded Merganser are cool looking birds

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was waist deep in wood ducks in early-mid November. Then had a bunch of mallards come in, but that only lasted a week or so. My numbers here on the ranch in SE OK are far lower than last year.

Had three mallards in one pond this morning and a lone drake in another...and that was it.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When sitting in a blind or tree stand for good "trigger feel" I've always worn a pair of those thin knit non insulated camo gloves.......the type with the rubber dots all over the palm for good grip and then slid my hands in a hand warmer in my lap till I actually have to shoot and that system has always worked well for me.

I've looked and looked and I can't find my old hand warmer anywhere and I've wished the past few hunts that I'd had one in the early mornings while in the blind so yesterday I finally broke down and purchased a new one at Academy that I'll put in my blind bag and take with me from here on out beginning tomorrow morning and use it as needed.

Made by Magellan it has thick insulation and seems to be well made........$24.99 + tax.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-hand-warmer-shell-holder
hw.jpg

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before heading to the blind we both agreed to only shoot larger ducks this morning and we ended up giving several groups of teal a pass and just let them land in the decoys and or fly over well within shooting range.

We had eight ducks by 60 minutes or less after legal light and we both agreed, even though ducks were still flying within range, that eight was enough so we just sat in the blind, drank coffee and shot the bull for over an hour.

It was a good hunt and I had a great time.

Five Gadwall Drakes and three Gadwall hens.

DH3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom