2021 Waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I was quail hunting in Roger mills county this weekend. Thought I’d pop me some green heads yesterday morning. What had been an lounge spot for the past 2 decades is now a roost spot. I hadn’t scouted it this year. Went off what I’ve always observed in the past. My mistake. Walking in a 6am, I quickly realized my mistake. I kicked them all off the roost. At least 700 mallards! Most I’ve ever seen at once. Moral of the story-do your homework. Scout. Birds change. Habitat changes. Just because it’s been one way for 15 years doesn’t mean it won’t change.

I did move some coveys Saturday. One was a big covey. Old school numbers. 30+ birds. Are the quail back and good? No. But it’s looking better than it has.
One of my coworkers hunted Kansas for pheasant. He said they saw and shot more quail than they’ve had in years. They are going to hunt Kansas in the morning on their way to South Dakota for more pheasants. The main goal for the Kansas stop is to see if the quail thing was a fluke or for real.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since back in the 80's when I first started duck hunting I've always had good luck with #3 steel shot in my Browning Humpback A5 12 ga. using a Carlson's stainless extended LM choke but like everything else shooting wise it's been darn near impossible to find locally or online.......I finally located a case (10 boxes / 250 rounds) online Monday and it arrived this afternoon.

After adding up the shells, tax and shipping it came to $22.31 per box........not what you would call dirt cheap but I'm glad to have it.

Kent 12 ga.jpg

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all that many birds around so we didn't have much luck this weekend, seems like here in the central part of the state the main migration has already pushed through on their way further south........hate to throw in the towel and I'm not completely ruling out going again but I'm rethinking about even going during the second 1/2 of the season that begins Dec. 4 and runs through Jan. 30.

Latest posts

Top Bottom