2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I’m going to start the thread this year with a picture, since everyone I’ve talked to has only come up with the excuses.
I‘ve had this buck on camera all summer and finally saw him in person this evening. Needless to say, it didn’t end well for him. I shot him at 30 yards and was pretty sure I heard him crash, but I waited a while to get down and look. This ended up being the best blood trail I’ve ever got using the Carbon Express XT4 broadheads, and he only went about 50 yards. He weighed 260# live weight, his back straps were 33”, and his tenderloins were 14”. I did a rough score and got 159” gross.
5856EDA4-574C-493E-9F47-FC50E6B60117.jpeg

EDA282D7-4B33-4AE5-AFD7-B175CE4AE1C8.jpeg

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No excuses here, but a cautionary tale:
I shot a big doe first thing in the morning. Felt like a good shot, she ran to the west and disappeared. I thought "no hurry, put another bolt in the crossbow and wait for another". Saw nothing for about forty minutes.

I saw a tree moving behind me about fifty yards to the west - too thick to really see, but something was shaking that tree. I watched it and concluded it was a buck raking it. After a couple minutes I knew it couldn't be taking that much time and it dawned on me what was happening. I climbed down asap and headed to the scene.

I could hear the coyotes run off as I approached. They had been playing tug-o-war with my doe.

Lost most of a shoulder, part of a hindquarter, and they had strung guts all over the place. If she had been a little further away and I had not seen her, they'd have eaten it all in short order I have no doubt.

I've had coyotes follow a drag trail after I gutted a deer, but never had this happen before, and was really surprised out how quick it happened.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I’m going to start the thread this year with a picture, since everyone I’ve talked to has only come up with the excuses.
I‘ve had this buck on camera all summer and finally saw him in person this evening. Needless to say, it didn’t end well for him. I shot him at 30 yards and was pretty sure I heard him crash, but I waited a while to get down and look. This ended up being the best blood trail I’ve ever got using the Carbon Express XT4 broadheads, and he only went about 50 yards. He weighed 260# live weight, his back straps were 33”, and his tenderloins were 14”. I did a rough score and got 159” gross.
Nice buck

Latest posts

Top Bottom