2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. The previous owners left that feeder? Score!
Nope; the last one used a $149 Wally-World special but was around to fill it. I bought the All Seasons Feeder 2000lb Low Pro (gravity protein) from Aldridge Farm and Land operating out of Wheeler Metals in Muskogee (top notch owner and service).

Last edited:

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you members should take out some Veterans!

I was fortunate to go hunting for the first time in my life. I haven't shot a bolt-action rifle since my time in the military under Clinton as I am not a hunter, and I didn't want to spend much money on a rifle, scope, or equipment. I ended up buying a Savage Axis (Nov 22) and purchased a cheap Nikon scope when they were on clearance about a year or so ago. Anyways when I went to go buy ammo it was in short supply, so I ordered some online for the hunt. When I went to sight in my rifle I had 40 rounds. I shot 34 rounds at 25 feet or so. Then 3 rounds at 150, and 3 rounds at 200 yards. It was warm enough that I didn't have on a jacket, or a hat, and had a rest to practice with.

Went hunting last weekend and it rained Friday and Saturday. It stopped right around dusk, so we went out for about 30 minutes Saturday night and didn't see a thing. Sunday morning we went out before dusk and sat out there and saw nothing. Shortly before we were about to call it a coyote came out, so I asked if they are a nuisance and was told not really but if I wanted to shoot it go ahead, but I didn't. So we waited a few more minutes and then right when we were about to pack up, I saw a buck. I was told to wait until he gets by the feeder away from the trees, head up, and where to aim. I was waiting for the perfect shot. It was about 200 yards, I was in the blind and EVERYTHING I didn't account for at the range was now a factor.

The blind was cramped, I now had on a hat, and jacket, I wasn't shooting straight forward, but now out a side window. So I took my time and went through all my training, breathing, finger placement, etc. I took the shot. As soon as I took the shot the deer jumped, then began to sprint about 15 feet, I thought I missed him because of this, and then stopped abruptly, then had a wobble. I had a good clean shot and got him right where I was aiming for. I was surprised because of the cheap rifle, and cheap scope. Big white tail about 250 lbs, 6-point, thick antlers.
deer1.jpg
deer3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I was fortunate to go hunting for the first time in my life. I haven't shot a bolt-action rifle since my time in the military under Clinton as I am not a hunter, and I didn't want to spend much money on a rifle, scope, or equipment. I ended up buying a Savage Axis (Nov 22) and purchased a cheap Nikon scope when they were on clearance about a year or so ago. Anyways when I went to go buy ammo it was in short supply, so I ordered some online for the hunt. When I went to sight in my rifle I had 40 rounds. I shot 34 rounds at 25 feet or so. Then 3 rounds at 150, and 3 rounds at 200 yards. It was warm enough that I didn't have on a jacket, or a hat, and had a rest to practice with.

Went hunting last weekend and it rained Friday and Saturday. It stopped right around dusk, so we went out for about 30 minutes Saturday night and didn't see a thing. Sunday morning we went out before dusk and sat out there and saw nothing. Shortly before we were about to call it a coyote came out, so I asked if they are a nuisance and was told not really but if I wanted to shoot it go ahead, but I didn't. So we waited a few more minutes and then right when we were about to pack up, I saw a buck. I was told to wait until he gets by the feeder away from the trees, head up, and where to aim. I was waiting for the perfect shot. It was about 200 yards, I was in the blind and EVERYTHING I didn't account for at the range was now a factor.

The blind was cramped, I now had on a hat, and jacket, I wasn't shooting straight forward, but now out a side window. So I took my time and went through all my training, breathing, finger placement, etc. I took the shot. As soon as I took the shot the deer jumped, then began to sprint about 15 feet, I thought I missed him because of this, and then stopped abruptly, then had a wobble. I had a good clean shot and got him right where I was aiming for. I was surprised because of the cheap rifle, and cheap scope. Big white tail about 250 lbs, 6-point, thick antlers.
Nice buck! Savage axis is a great rifle

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice buck! Savage axis is a great rifle
I wanted the Savage 110 but I couldn't find one in 308. So I found this Axis, it wasn't the run-of-the-mill but not the one I wanted. The bolt isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, and the factory rings aren't as high as I want them to be.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see the hands of anyone here who has taken their limit of deer in the last 10 years, I bet there are 1 or 2 at most, most likely none lol, including myself. 🤣🤣
3 this year so far, last year it was 4 the year before I tagged out. May try n tag out this weekend idk

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nice buck!!!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Congrats on your first deer, and it was a good one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom