2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s deer story I’ve never posted on the internet before.
In 1984, my Dad, Grandfather, and I were hunting on a lease in southern Nacogdoches county here in east TX, and on Sunday morning November 18th, my Dad had left early to go to church and left me at the lease with my Grandfather (who hunted a different part of the property from us). I had to poop really bad, and my Dad had set my stand up with a 5 gallon bucket with garbage bag liners for just such circumstances. I had my pants around my ankles and was sitting on the bucket while still looking around for deer. At about 150 yards, a buck walks out of the woods into the clearcut, so I grab my 30-30, easy it out the window of the box stand, find the buck in my scope, and take the shot. The buck disappeared from view. I take care of the paperwork, climb down, and headed across the clearcut to look for him (which I was specifically told NOT to do). After climbing through pine tops, I finally got to where I thought he had been, and the buck had dropped in his tracks. I don’t remember how long I had to wait for my Grandfather to come get me, but it seemed like forever. The glamour shot was taken on the tailgate of my Grandfather’s old Ford in typical east Texas fashion.
9A49FD2F-F0B8-47A1-A262-6477A66DE994.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI . . . 1250 lb capacity feeders with buck seduction last maybe a month or so at my brother's place if the deer are hitting it hard. It's crazy how much we've gone through this season.
I had to put timers on my protein feeders, because I financially and physically couldn’t keep them filled. They were emptying two 1000# Boss Buck feeders in less than two weeks. I’ve tried something different on feeding times this year, and it’s worked pretty well. The feeder is set to open at 7am for 15 minutes and open again at 4pm for 15 minutes. The deer have figured it out and are there when it opens, but to my surprise they don’t stay and clean up all the feed. They come back in through out the day and night to get a bite.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
In 1984, my Dad, Grandfather, and I were hunting on a lease in southern Nacogdoches county here in east TX, and on Sunday morning November 18th, my Dad had left early to go to church and left me at the lease with my Grandfather (who hunted a different part of the property from us). I had to poop really bad, and my Dad had set my stand up with a 5 gallon bucket with garbage bag liners for just such circumstances. I had my pants around my ankles and was sitting on the bucket while still looking around for deer. At about 150 yards, a buck walks out of the woods into the clearcut, so I grab my 30-30, easy it out the window of the box stand, find the buck in my scope, and take the shot. The buck disappeared from view. I take care of the paperwork, climb down, and headed across the clearcut to look for him (which I was specifically told NOT to do). After climbing through pine tops, I finally got to where I thought he had been, and the buck had dropped in his tracks. I don’t remember how long I had to wait for my Grandfather to come get me, but it seemed like forever. The glamour shot was taken on the tailgate of my Grandfather’s old Ford in typical east Texas fashion.
View attachment 325265
I hope that’s not the bucket next to you!

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to put timers on my protein feeders, because I financially and physically couldn’t keep them filled. They were emptying two 1000# Boss Buck feeders in less than two weeks. I’ve tried something different on feeding times this year, and it’s worked pretty well. The feeder is set to open at 7am for 15 minutes and open again at 4pm for 15 minutes. The deer have figured it out and are there when it opens, but to my surprise they don’t stay and clean up all the feed. They come back in through out the day and night to get a bite.
I had to adjust the feed chutes to as low as they'd go so it wouldn't just dump feed out and I had to redneck engineer a way to keep the coons from just laying in the chute and eating for half an hour.

I'm not sure what his long term plan is for filling them, but he's said he's planning to keep them full of something most of the year. Most likely corn with some buck seduction thrown in if I had to guess.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to adjust the feed chutes to as low as they'd go so it wouldn't just dump feed out and I had to redneck engineer a way to keep the coons from just laying in the chute and eating for half an hour.

I'm not sure what his long term plan is for filling them, but he's said he's planning to keep them full of something most of the year. Most likely corn with some buck seduction thrown in if I had to guess.
I don’t know what buck seduction costs, but I’m feeding 13% Natural All Stock from Tractor Supply for $12.49/50# (if you buy 20 bags, you get 5% off). Dollars and cents wise, it’s pretty much a wash compared to bagged corn.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 325265
Great pic and story retrieverman.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don’t know what buck seduction costs, but I’m feeding 13% Natural All Stock from Tractor Supply for $12.49/50# (if you buy 20 bags, you get 5% off). Dollars and cents wise, it’s pretty much a wash compared to bagged corn.

Dang… that’s like buying a case of 9mm.

How often do you fill?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang… that’s like buying a case of 9mm.

How often do you fill?
This year I’ve been putting 500# in each feeder every time I come up so basically once a month. I always buy the 20 bags required to get the 5% discount, so I‘m spending a little less than $240 a month. I’m considering trying to run them all year this year to see if I can hold more deer on my little place.
I generally only feed protein from August until November or whenever they run out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom