2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Virtuaguyver First, that is a very nice buck! I’m probably wrong, but I always thought rifles weren’t allowed on public lands for deer hunting. Can anybody please clarify the use of rifles on Oklahoma public lands.
There are several actually more than not that you can hunt with rifles just check the regulations for the area you want to hunt

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Virtuaguyver First, that is a very nice buck! I’m probably wrong, but I always thought rifles weren’t allowed on public lands for deer hunting. Can anybody please clarify the use of rifles on Oklahoma public lands.
I know for a fact 100% where I hunt is legal with guns. There are cars literally 100-200 yards apart. Opening day I went out very early and before sun even came up, gun shots were going off every 5 seconds. The gun shots almost every minute and then few minutes apart, all the way to 12pm. After 12 it's almost complete silence. 2-3 pm and gun shots go off minutes apart again. Some shots were very close, some farther. Some people even shot semi auto in 5-10 rounds shots, which I have no idea why people would do that! It was a pretty scary experience, if I had any other choice, I would NOT be there. Then there was one day I sat there from 5am to 5pm and this guy kept going to his car every hour or 2, it was cold! I could see him far in the distance with orange hat, I did not see a single deer that day. I also did not want to move and loose my spot, or find another spot because my blind was already set up.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know for a fact 100% where I hunt is legal with guns. There are cars literally 100-200 yards apart. Opening day I went out very early and before sun even came up, gun shots were going off every 5 seconds. The gun shots almost every minute and then few minutes apart, all the way to 12pm. After 12 it's almost complete silence. 2-3 pm and gun shots go off minutes apart again. Some shots were very close, some farther. Some people even shot semi auto in 5-10 rounds shots, which I have no idea why people would do that! It was a pretty scary experience, if I had any other choice, I would NOT be there. Then there was one day I sat there from 5am to 5pm and this guy kept going to his car every hour or 2, it was cold! I could see him far in the distance with orange hat, I did not see a single deer that day. I also did not want to move and loose my spot, or find another spot because my blind was already set up.
I think the stress of that would outweigh the fun for me.

But congrats to you!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got on the board at the 11th hour yesterday.

Not to sound all mushy but this deer really makes me happy. Not the biggest or heaviest I've killed but will hold a lot of sentimental value for me. Since I started hunting OK in the late '90s with my father in law on his lease I've always wanted to own land and have the ability to hunt on it. As most of you know I finally moved to OK last year (after being on this forum for the prior 11 years) and my wife and I bought our property last February. Was blessed enough to have the funds and "know how" to carve out one food plot out of a pasture and one 3/4 acre plot out of some thick nasty brush woods. The Buck Forage Oats and winter wheat along with three corn feeders really attracted the deer. Lots of sweat, diesel and hard work paid off at about 5:15pm on Sunday evening.

Had 5 does and couple fawns on the plot for about an hour feeding. THey were a bit skiddish but hung around. They were definately on alert probably due to the swirling winds and them catching my scent occasionally. Finally all the girls looked up and stared in the same direction they came from and where most of the deer walk in from. THey stared for more than several minutes. Finally this guy showed up and wondered toward them. He was the first shooter deer I got on camera back in early September when I put my first cameras and feeders up before i even planted the Oat and Wheat. Saw him regularly on camera but 95% of the time deep into the night.

Needless to say he's not the giant we see posted on the internets but he's absolutely the one I'm most proud of and will always remember what it took to take this buck.

BTW, I was wearing my blaze orange vest but had just took it off from around my backpack and chest when my wife arrived and wanted pics.

Pic 2.jpg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got on the board at the 11th hour yesterday.

Not to sound all mushy but this deer really makes me happy. Not the biggest or heaviest I've killed but will hold a lot of sentimental value for me. Since I started hunting OK in the late '90s with my father in law on his lease I've always wanted to own land and have the ability to hunt on it. As most of you know I finally moved to OK last year (after being on this forum for the prior 11 years) and my wife and I bought our property last February. Was blessed enough to have the funds and "know how" to carve out one food plot out of a pasture and one 3/4 acre plot out of some thick nasty brush woods. The Buck Forage Oats and winter wheat along with three corn feeders really attracted the deer. Lots of sweat, diesel and hard work paid off at about 5:15pm on Sunday evening.

Had 5 does and couple fawns on the plot for about an hour feeding. THey were a bit skiddish but hung around. They were definately on alert probably due to the swirling winds and them catching my scent occasionally. Finally all the girls looked up and stared in the same direction they came from and where most of the deer walk in from. THey stared for more than several minutes. Finally this guy showed up and wondered toward them. He was the first shooter deer I got on camera back in early September when I put my first cameras and feeders up before i even planted the Oat and Wheat. Saw him regularly on camera but 95% of the time deep into the night.

Needless to say he's not the giant we see posted on the internets but he's absolutely the one I'm most proud of and will always remember what it took to take this buck.

BTW, I was wearing my blaze orange vest but had just took it off from around my backpack and chest when my wife arrived and wanted pics.

View attachment 326250
Great buck! And I can definitely relate to the rewarding feeling you have when you’ve put the work into your own place.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the stress of that would outweigh the fun for me.

But congrats to you!
You should see me trying to explain to my wife, when she asks "how was your hunting trip today". Then when I explain it to her, she immediately ask "well if it's not fun, then why do you go out there", and I don't have an answer. But next morning, I go out again. It kinda makes no sense lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom