2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I may get to start and end this thread.
Today’s the last day of TX muzzleloader season, and I‘m normally burned out with deer hunting or busy working when the season finally rolls around. This year I really wanted to try out the new to me Knight MK85 muzzleloader, so I hunted yesterday morning in a tripod stand and saw 8 does but never got a clear shot through the brush. I set up in a ground blind this morning facing down a lane I know deer cross regularly. I got situated in the blind about 6:45, and by about 7:45, the two cups of coffee I had before leaving the house were weighing heavy on my bladder. I decided I was going to try to sit until 9 before heading back home. My field of view wasn’t great other than straight down the lane, but I was trying to watch for deer as they approached to have time to get ready. At 8:15, I had just looked at my phone to see what time it was, and when I looked back up, a doe was already stepping out at 35 yards. She looked my way just as I centered the red fiber optic front sight on her chest and squeezed the trigger. I lost her in the smoke, but when it cleared, I could see her white belly through the tangle of privet and green briars. She made a 15 yards bloody run before piling up. My load was 60 grains of T7 3f and a 350 gr cast lead bullet in a black crush rib sabot.
4D411B9E-DCDA-43A9-B914-3623C20A1ADA.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet rifle retrieverman. Is it a.50 or .54?
I've been keeping my eyes out for a Knight tk2000 shotgun. I've hear lots if good things about Knight rifles and shotguns.
That’s a 50 cal, but I‘d love to have one in 54. My Dad’s company was the Knight rep for the southeastern US in the early 2000’s, and I’ve been killing stuff with their rifles ever since. If you’re seriously looking for a TK2000, watch Gunbroker, because they show up on there pretty regularly.

I forgot to mention that I found the bullet this morning under the skin just in front of her left hind leg. It started out at 350 grains and ended up 273 grains giving a 78% weight retention.
CA150162-3CC7-4104-8589-6FCF1875E3EF.jpeg

9FC7E9EE-7616-4D4C-81A6-D535FDE335B6.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Shot my first archery deer tonight 15 minutes before legal light expired. Man what a rush, I'm hooked on deer hunting now! I blame this thread for my new addiction 😉View attachment 339364
Congrats! Some of the coolest stuff you’ll ever see happens in the deer stand. Also, some of the best hunts will be an empty handed day.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn’t know it at our place. It’s been a brutal year with new houses, wind turbine construction, dropped dogs etc. 2 does was all that was checked in. We had a couple bucks hit but not recovered. Blood trails like they were poured out of buckets. The trails cross-crossed so many times that it got confusing. Couple of green horns that didn’t know that just because there’s lots of blood means you have a dead deer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom