2022 Garden thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a few small yellow squash, zucchini is just starting to flower nicely, green beans are blooming, tomato is still putting on blooms but no fruit yet. For some reason we never get tomatoes until July. Does not matter if we plant in the ground or containers. Our wild onions are doing good and I will let them ride until we need them.

One of my sisters brought us a couple of Stevia plants to try. Be interesting to see how useful they are.
Stevia is an acquired taste to me. Has a bitter after taste to me.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just a heads-up post for you gardeners. Stringers nursery on 41st street is having a 'Going out of biz' sale right now. You can get most things for buy one-get one free. I just walked out of there with two 5 gal. Sugar Maple trees for less than $50. They have a great selection and you may wanna check them out.

Taylorjeannie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey what ya got growing on boys and girls ? If you still need seeds Shawnee feed and seed has the bulk packs for a very fair price. 177 & hardesty . You get a LOT more bang for your buck then the paper seed packs you find or order. Of course most of them are the common staples. I just got 10 types of maters seeded and 3 types of peppers started today.
Fall 2021 started, 2022 harvest so we can get ready for the 2022 plantings. May your 2022 be a blooming good time and produce like rabbits.
Love this time of year! ready for my tomatoes to produce so we can have BLTs

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the rain we had this week and the high temperature coming we harvested the green cabbage. Flat dutch.
Kraut is in the future. Have a 2 & 5 gallon Brewers buckets with air locks.
IMG_20220611_113956377_HDR.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We only planted radishes in some big pots on the patio this year. Some are about the size of a dime.
Fertilizer is outrageous even in small quantities, so been trying coffee grounds on two with nothing in the third. It appears to be working as the two using coffee grounds are really growing while the third is just sprouting.
This is the second seeding. I ground up egg shells on the first seeding to mix in with the potting soil. Put in the seeds and waited. A couple days later the soil in the pots were destroyed along with the seedlings coming up.
Raccoons had smelled the egg shells evidently thinking there was a ground nesting bird in those pots and went looking for eggs.
Oh well, we are living in their territory.
I have been trapping those coons, but you can't keep up.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We only planted radishes in some big pots on the patio this year. Some are about the size of a dime.
Fertilizer is outrageous even in small quantities, so been trying coffee grounds on two with nothing in the third. It appears to be working as the two using coffee grounds are really growing while the third is just sprouting.
This is the second seeding. I ground up egg shells on the first seeding to mix in with the potting soil. Put in the seeds and waited. A couple days later the soil in the pots were destroyed along with the seedlings coming up.
Raccoons had smelled the egg shells evidently thinking there was a ground nesting bird in those pots and went looking for eggs.
Oh well, we are living in their territory.
I have been trapping those coons, but you can't keep up.
Normally it is advised to break the egg shells up then bake them in the oven . helps to get rid of the raw egg smell. I never bother with the egg shells as it takes a long time to gain any benefit. those egg shells will still be there the next year.

I never fertilize for radishes as I don't want a lot of top growth. I want them to put their energy into the root.

Radish is usually grown in the cool weather in the spring. Usually in the heat of the summer they will go to seed before you get a good root. You may have some luck in partial shade and kept watered but not water logged.

My radishes grow in plain ole clay better than potting soil.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My leaf curling issue continues with my tomatoes. I fertilized and the plants grew quickly but no more fruit. I’m thinking it’s a soil issue. They are in pots and I used a mixture of compost manure and potting soil. Maybe all the rain washed out the nutrients? Only 2 fruit on 8 plants.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My leaf curling issue continues with my tomatoes. I fertilized and the plants grew quickly but no more fruit. I’m thinking it’s a soil issue. They are in pots and I used a mixture of compost manure and potting soil. Maybe all the rain washed out the nutrients? Only 2 fruit on 8 plants.
Once the temperature stays above 85°, the pollen degrades and no fruit set. Add high humidity and it makes it worse. Pollen gets sticky .

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Once the temperature stays above 85°, the pollen degrades and no fruit set. Add high humidity and it makes it worse. Pollen gets sticky .
That’s what I read. My issue was through the cool weather and rain too. It’s probably to late for me to get any more fruit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom