2022 Garden thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an FYI for cold hardy stuff. Planted 30 started Cabbage and Cauliflower from Home Depot I bought early mid Feb. Planted them and onions on Mar 1st. On Mar 7 they saw 25 deg uncovered then I covered with a walmart sack and clothespins the following 5 days lows were 26, 22, 26, 22, 16 deg and they look like all made it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the bed filled and ready to plant.
D43523C0-6785-414E-9F1B-8C25F3AC052D.jpeg

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted my taters today. One row of huckleberry gold and one row of red pontiac. rows are about 75 ft long. I had my cabbage,broccoli,cauliflower and onions already planted during the last winter mix. the cabbage broccoli and cauliflower got a little freezer burned but I gave them a little nitrogen to perk them up.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perenials, I put in the 4 rhubarb crowns that were bought last year and over wintered in the hoophouse. I haven't had rhubarb since I was a wee tot back in the 70's, If you don't have you some of the edible perenials I'd encourage you to get some. There's sellers on etsy and e bay as well as your local nursery or TSC.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perenials, I put in the 4 rhubarb crowns that were bought last year and over wintered in the hoophouse. I haven't had rhubarb since I was a wee tot back in the 70's, If you don't have you some of the edible perenials I'd encourage you to get some. There's sellers on etsy and e bay as well as your local nursery or TSC.
Isn’t the leaves on rhubarb poisonous? I was wanting to plant some, but I’ll have to make some sort of pretty garden with them in the front yard, as the dogs would have a chance to get into them in the back yard with the main garden.
That would be a nightmare for me. I can’t stand sweet potatoes.🤢
Give me all the sweet potatoes! I could eat them every day.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along. I can’t say if it is effective from personal experience, but decades of houses in Japan can’t be wrong. In my current situation (we’re likely only living here a few years) I’m too cheap to buy containers that won’t rot, and don’t wanna pony up the cash for cedar. So I’m adapting the Japanese practice of yakisugi to make my raised beds last longer. The original practice only uses Japanese cypress boards called Sugi, but I figure it will help with any soft wood. The idea is to burn your boards, preferably the first 2-3 millimeters of the surface. That creates a more fire resistant, protected finish on the boards that will make them less likely to rot. I’m guessing that a lot of it is due to you creating a layer of carbon crystals on the wood. It’s also rather attractive, all natural, and a tank of propane is much cheaper than ponying up the extra cash for cedar or sealants. Or if you have more patience, you just need to create triangles with your boards and start a fire inside. In Japan there’s plenty of houses with 25+ year old wood siding still looking doing its job, so I figure if this helps my cheap pine raised beds last 3-5 years I’ll be doing alright.
https://nakamotoforestry.com/what-is-shou-sugi-ban-yakisugi/
3356D558-5088-426E-AED2-736D444FAB63.jpeg
0F90A86D-1580-400B-A3E5-415236F9613E.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom