2022 Garden thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silly question. I was planning on getting everything planted in my garden this week. But come to find out the old lady and I will be gone for the last two weeks of April, don’t have anyone to come by and water. Should I go ahead with planting, hoping that everything will be alright while we’re gone, or should I hold off? I’m planting a little bit of everything, squash, cucumbers, corn, 4 types of potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, okra, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, the whole shebang.
Unless you have blow sand that won't hold moisture 30 minutes, I'd say drench everything really well before you leave and it should be fine.

Just my 2¢ ... :coffee2:
___

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have maters and bell peppers in the house, sitting on window sills.
Might get them in the ground next week end. Squash, zuchinni, the next week. Okra the next week.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We moved from Pittsburg County, OK to Dale County, AL last year. The gardens are prepared and we got in our potatoes and some of the cooler weather vegetables in, but the soil temperature remains just under 60 Deg. F and I’ve held back on tomatoes, corn, squash etc. Today the rain came hard and tomorrow more is on the way so we’re going to be delayed in finishing up.

Attachments

• AEDE6F7B-89D8-465E-B016-3E0384D6AC3A.jpeg
    AEDE6F7B-89D8-465E-B016-3E0384D6AC3A.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CC317B51-C8CC-4FF7-8C58-F50B7EFF8ED2.jpeg
    CC317B51-C8CC-4FF7-8C58-F50B7EFF8ED2.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 25

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got 1 pound of red wigglers coming this way. With the other natural inputs we'll be employing this year it wouldn't be complete without worms. Right ? lol. Seller claims to have 1 lb left, cheapest price I could find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265427948058?hash=item3dccbd121a:g:Kn0AAOSw4KthCLtQ
Got my dirt ordered, should be here tomorrow. Also have my worms on the way. Ordered my red wigglers from uncle Jim’s worm farm. Got 2000 for $75, and an additional 250 “super red European” night crawlers that will go in their own compost pile so I can use them for fishing. Cost me an additional $15 for those, but they’re supposedly pretty impressive specimens.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my dirt ordered, should be here tomorrow. Also have my worms on the way. Ordered my red wigglers from uncle Jim’s worm farm. Got 2000 for $75, and an additional 250 “super red European” night crawlers that will go in their own compost pile so I can use them for fishing. Cost me an additional $15 for those, but they’re supposedly pretty impressive specimens.
Our worms are kicking tale. They're bedded in an ole pink bath tub with probably 15 paper feed bags, some cardboard, some poopey round bale hay and regularly dumped house scraps and they are tearing it up. I have to peek every now and then so I see what's happening.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planted squash zucchini, eggplant and watermelon in egg cartons, today. Have four more egg cartons and plenty of potting soil. Not sure what I will start.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silly question. I was planning on getting everything planted in my garden this week. But come to find out the old lady and I will be gone for the last two weeks of April, don’t have anyone to come by and water. Should I go ahead with planting, hoping that everything will be alright while we’re gone, or should I hold off? I’m planting a little bit of everything, squash, cucumbers, corn, 4 types of potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, okra, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, the whole shebang.
As stated above, most of what you have listed can wait to go in the ground when you return. Carrots should go in now as should potatoes. Not sure about radishes.

I think you moved recently. Still in OKC area or Edmond now? If OKC area, I'd offer to come water for you. We met at H&H when dropping off the scope for Retrieverman.

Latest posts

Top Bottom