2022 Health insurance vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man this sucks guys I had no idea it has gotten this bad. I work for a private company and they just kind of take care of everything. I have a $20 copay but no deductible and no max. I never see a bill and its damn near free. Just something I guess I never really think about.
I'd a assume a big company and this appears to me to be what the gov wants. I doubt I could get that kind of coverage, but the Gold plans on obamacare look to be about $30k for family of 4.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I'm just glad that we got away from Blue Cross Blue Shield. We use my wife's insurance from her work now. If we still had BCBS, we would be selling everything that we own right now to help pay medical expenses.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a very good Swedish friend. He has an AR15, hunting rifles and a Glock 19. He had to take classes, get a background check and has to keep them in a real safe in his home (no RSC). He buys his suppressors off the shelf at the hardware store just like a box of glue, no paperwork.

Now that that’s out of the way…

He makes around $100k a year as a robotics engineer. He pays 40% in taxes all in. For that 40% he gets:

100% medical with a $60 per year copay. Break a femur? $60. Get liver cancer? $60.

100% college tuition room and board included through masters degree. You must keep satisfactory grades or you are booted.

Heavily subsidized fiber internet (he pays $14 a month for tb speed). Heavily subsidized NUCLEAR power (he pays $30 ish a month in dead of winter) total electric homes.

Heavily subsidized dental insurance. He pays around $10 a month for dental. It’s Europe so a lot of people don’t carry dental lol.

Is that worth 40% taxes? I’m thinking maybe. As a father of 3 self employed my two big cost concerns are healthcare and college.

As our system stands now I’m on the hook for $37k out of pocket right premiums and copay for a bad Illness in my family. Thank God it hasn’t happened. We’ve been uninsured for 6 years. Then let’s talk college costs.

If $40k in taxes all in could cover all that? Yeah, I’m in!

Im not saying Sweden is a paradise they have their own problems but what I am saying is Americans are being bamboozled on healthcare by crooked politicians raiding the treasury and insurance execs!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Among the problems we'd have with universal is 1) 330 million people, 2) how many tens of millions illegally here - don't pay taxes but draw benefits, or cause providers to eat costs and then pass on cost to paying customers, 3) bottom 45% of americans pay no federal income tax 4) we're more unhealthy than a lot of the Nordic countries; 5) general cluster of the system now and difficulty of making any changes.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't most providers claim that they lose money on medicare patients? I wonder how much of the charges to private carriers is made up of upcharges to recoup losses on medicare and writeoffs for uninsured?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't most providers claim that they lose money on medicare patients?
Well, hospice services shouldn't.

Sweetie is on hospice. They furnish a few hundred dollars worth of supplies (and gripe if we use "too much" by their standards), and an RN visits every other week.

They are currently paid $4200 per month (SS sends us quarterly statements).
___

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a very good Swedish friend. He has an AR15, hunting rifles and a Glock 19. He had to take classes, get a background check and has to keep them in a real safe in his home (no RSC). He buys his suppressors off the shelf at the hardware store just like a box of glue, no paperwork.

He makes around $100k a year as a robotics engineer. He pays 40% in taxes all in. For that 40% he gets:

100% medical with a $60 per year copay. Break a femur? $60. Get liver cancer? $60.

100% college tuition room and board included through masters degree. You must keep satisfactory grades or you are booted.

Heavily subsidized fiber internet (he pays $14 a month for tb speed). Heavily subsidized NUCLEAR power (he pays $30 ish a month in dead of winter) total electric homes.

Heavily subsidized dental insurance. He pays around $10 a month for dental. It’s Europe so a lot of people don’t carry dental lol.

Is that worth 40% taxes? I’m thinking maybe. As a father of 3 self employed my two big cost concerns are healthcare and college.

As our system stands now I’m on the hook for $37k out of pocket right premiums and copay for a bad Illness in my family. Thank God it hasn’t happened. We’ve been uninsured for 6 years. Then let’s talk college costs.

Im not saying Sweden is a paradise they have their own problems but what I am saying is Americans are being bamboozled on healthcare by crooked politicians raiding the treasury and insurance execs!
It sounds great until you're 25 making 100k and then only making 60k, close to poverty in some states, because you have to subsidize Grandpa down the street with stage 4 cancer, and grandpa's 9 grandkids are going to college, which you didn't need because you are a farmer or a web designer, or a robotics engineer (hint hint), or some other field that you can teach yourself.

Some more fun facts:

Grandpa can't get in to an appointment for his cancer for 4 months because government is always fast like that, imagine in a country the size of ours instead of sweet little tiny Sweeden...In Canada it can be over a year before you see a doctor.
Grandpa has no teeth because under government rules it's cheaper to pull them than to fix them.
Grandpa can't view websites he wants because his internet is government controlled and "he shouldn't be looking at that".
Grandpa must follow every government rule and whim that would make the sheeple feel better, such as mandated vaccines.

And for that same 40 thousand dollars here? You can put your own kid through a very expensive college (most in Oklahoma are around 20k/year or less), you can pay for insurance, which is paid by the government if you have a business making a profit, you can pay your 2800.00 deductible, get a full mouth of teeth put in and drink as much cappuccinos in the dentist's office all day, hire hookers and snort blow like a madman for a month, and still have enough left over to take your kids and the neighbor's kids to Disneyland for a month.

Every year.

Even with things being horrible right now, America is still the best place on the planet to live. We just have to make sure we get our butts to the ballot box and fight hard to keep it that way.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is with ignorant voters who elect corrupt politicians to represent their self interest.

My family have been blessed with me having a good job with really good benefits.

But my situation wasn’t given to me. I worked full time while going to college to pay for my own college education. Can your kids not do that? Then got the job I wanted after many years of trying to get on with a specific company because I knew they paid well and had great benefits. After finally getting hired, they paid for my masters degree, which helped me keep my job. Is there something I would rather be doing, yes, but that comes at a price that I do not want to trade for. I think it's all about sacrifice and it's a choice.

I think a lot of people in this country have become lazy.

Ever thought about moving? The grass is always greener, until you get there. Nothing is free or even close to it.

I know you are venting and I cannot blame you for that. But you sound like an educated individual and can likely find a solution to the issues almost all of us are facing. For me, I wish the .gov would get the hell out of my way and let me be productive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom