2022 Waterfowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So this morning I went duck hunting and my stupid safety wouldn't turn off fire. I tried and tried and it would just not budge on my Mossy 940 Waterfowl. Luckily I took my back up Savage and finished the morning after it stuck.

Went home and could not get it to move so I gave up and went to the gunsmith. He went in the back and came back in about 15 seconds and said the aftermarket safety I put on a few months ago was just loose. Gosh did I feel like a total idiot. Thank goodness he didn't charge me for being stupid.

Moral of the story is, always take a back up gun with you to the blind. Also, don't be an idiot and learn how to tighten a bolt.

Three more days fellas, get at them.
Another reason to take another gun is if you put the wrong plug in your gun, didn't happen to me but a buddy I was hunting with somehow got his mossberg 835 and remington 1100 plugs mixed up. long story but to sum up he found out the hard way (game warden checked, opps. lucky for him the Ranger let him swap out guns with a stern lecture)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Another reason to take another gun is if you put the wrong plug in your gun, didn't happen to me but a buddy I was hunting with somehow got his mossberg 835 and remington 1100 plugs mixed up. long story but to sum up he found out the hard way (game warden checked, opps. lucky for him the Ranger let him swap out guns with a stern lecture)
An over/under is the cure for everything :) :). No jams, no extraction issues, no plugs, no moving parts, temperature doesn't matter, dirt/mud/sand doesn't matter. Having the need for a third shot that doesn't always get taken, has cost more guys the first and second shot way too many times lol. Recoil sensitivity is the only reason not to use one imo. Crazy how much recoil the new Berettas and Benellis eat though, pretty amazing.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My backup is technically my steel gun for water swats on cripples. I shoot bismuth in my prime gun and I don't want to waste those shells on cripples. Just a FYI.
I get not wanting to use bismuth for cripples, but I’ve never heard of carrying a second shotgun to shoot them with. That sounds like something that would get me confused as to which gun to use in the heat of the moment.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get not wanting to use bismuth for cripples, but I’ve never heard of carrying a second shotgun to shoot them with. That sounds like something that would get me confused as to which gun to use in the heat of the moment.
We have a permanent blind and the steel gun leans against the wall of it while my prime gun is in my hands. When a cripple is needing extinguished, I just switch. It is a lot easier than trying to remove and add shells from what I have found.

As expensive as bismuth is, I prefer to use the relatively cheap steel on the clean up shots. What is interesting though, since I switched to bismuth, a lot less cripples.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people who say they hate duck just have not had it prepared properly. I’ve eaten almost every time of waterfowl imaginable and the ONLY duck I have found not palatable no matter what I do is a Common Merganser. When I shoot those I literally cook the breasts up for my bird dogs.

Canada geese make amazing muscle jerky and that’s far and away my favorite way to make them

Best waterfowl to eat in my opinion…….snow goose by a mile. They get called nasty but when you eat nothing but grain for 9 months out of the year………People don’t know what they are missing they just believe the wives tales.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most people who say they hate duck just have not had it prepared properly. I’ve eaten almost every time of waterfowl imaginable and the ONLY duck I have found not palatable no matter what I do is a Common Merganser. When I shoot those I literally cook the breasts up for my bird dogs.

Canada geese make amazing muscle jerky and that’s far and away my favorite way to make them

Best waterfowl to eat in my opinion…….snow goose by a mile. They get called nasty but when you eat nothing but grain for 9 months out of the year………People don’t know what they are missing they just believe the wives tales.
A Ross's goose is the best of geese imo, only about Mallard size and the meat is colored my like a duck than a goose.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20230127_084649.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom