2022 Waterfowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe our tastes have changed but back in the late 80's and 90's when I duck hunted hot and heavy mama and I liked the taste of them then fast forwarding to last season when I started hunting them again and now we don't care for them at all.......luckily my hunting buddy and his brother-in-law (who doesn't hunt) like the taste and he takes all the birds I bring down.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe our tastes have changed but back in the late 80's and 90's when I duck hunted hot and heavy mama and I liked the taste of them then fast forwarding to last season when I started hunting them again and now we don't care for them at all.......luckily my hunting buddy and his brother-in-law (who doesn't hunt) like the taste and he takes all the birds I bring down.
I’ve found this to be true about a lot of things. Some things I didn’t used to like, I do like now and vice versa. :anyone:

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say I find waterfowl hunters to be some
of the most wasteful hunters in the lot.

And I am absolutely not pointing any fingers at members of this forum but just ask any professional waterfowl guide/outfitter how many birds get left with him every year. It’s sickening. If you don’t eat/utilize them OR have someone you can give them to who does let the little bastards just keep flying.

Honestly I have friends that I about refuse to hunt with late in the season when I’ve had my fill of duck. Why? Because they NEVER keep any duck. Always want me to tote their kill home. I typically shoot enough ducks in a year I expect each hunter to take their own birds as I don’t need any myself. Slow years or early in the season I’ll take birds otherwise if your hunting with me you take home what you kill!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in High School, and shortly thereafter, we hunted ducks a lot. My rule has always been, if I ain't gonna' eat it, I ain't gonna' shoot it (vermin excluded @swampratt ). I and the guys I hunted with could never find a way to cook them that we really liked, so we just quit hunting them. Then, it got so expensive, it just reinforced my decision!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hunted them in the 80's i swear there was a points system.
Each bird was worth so many points and after you reach the point limit you are done.

I think only a couple mallards were allowed to be taken.
Do I remember this wrong?

My buddy did not like them and we recently shot 2 and I took them home and he followed me.
I stuck them in the pressure cooker after I skinned them.
45 minutes later I turned off the heat and let it cool all the way down and made chopped BBQ out of them.
You could not tell it was not beef or deer.
I love my pressure cookers/caners.

Last edited:

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Each bird was worth so many points and after you reach the point limit you are done.

You are correct. It changed in the early 90s or so.

When I started hunting mallard drakes were 20 points, then grew to 35, then to 50. Hens were 70 points, then 80, then 100.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dorkus' season recap:
My last day of ducks was today, can't go tomorrow. Overall season was really good for me until after the December 23rd freeze. After that, we lost a lot of momentum but still went quite a bit.

Top three ducks:
- Gadwall
- Widgeon
- Ringneck

My fourth best season by volume, I can only imagine how good it would have been if we didn't freeze everything up. I think I hunted 32 days, which is way down from the past.

I hope everyone at least got to the water and had a good hunt or two.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a person hunting (or fishing) and donating what was harvested to someone that will make use of the meat and it makes no difference if it's fish, ducks, deer or whatever......most states including Okla. even have programs in place to where a hunter can hunt, enjoy harvesting a deer and then donate it t those that will make use of it. Hunters Against Hunger | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

If I didn't have someone that gladly takes the few ducks I harvest yearly I would no longer hunt them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

My buddy did not like them and we recently shot 2 and I took them home and he followed me.
I stuck them in the pressure cooker after I skinned them.
45 minutes later I turned off the head and let it cool all the way down and made chopped BBQ out of them.
You could not tell it was not beef or deer.
I love my pressure cookers/caners.
Yep, 100 points was all you were allowed. Before they closed canvasback, they were 100 points. You could literally shoot one duck and be done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom