2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our asparagus won’t be up for another week to two weeks as far north as we are. Sure looking forward to getting some fresh asparagus. Ours are the Jersey Giants variety.
That’s the only garden we have left. We are traveling too much to maintain a garden.
My buddy has an acre tilled up to plant so I bought a lot of his seed and starts. Potatoes and onions going in pretty soon.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our asparagus won’t be up for another week to two weeks as far north as we are. Sure looking forward to getting some fresh asparagus. Ours are the Jersey Giants variety.
That’s the only garden we have left. We are traveling too much to maintain a garden.
My buddy has an acre tilled up to plant so I bought a lot of his seed and starts. Potatoes and onions going in pretty soon.
Got onions in last night along with some spinach, kale, buttercrunch, romaine, carrots and beets. Hoping for rain today/tonight so hurried to get planted. Also not predicting in the 20s like a few days ago so figure safe for now. Potatoes will go in next weekend most likely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, as previously said, we don’t grow a garden anymore because of our travels, but have been helping a buddy get in his 1/2 acre patch. Not as sophisticated as some of you folks but he shares buckets of veggies when we are home.
Fell into a goldmine today. He had noticed a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road had a huge pile of wood chips from one of those contract tree trimmers piled up in his pasture for years, so he stopped in and asked what his plans were for them. The guy said he gave the company permission to dump chips as he needed some to create mulch. He had to leave town for a week unexpectedly, coming home to this huge pile.
He basically begged us to take all we wanted, so today started hauling them in my military surplus dump trailer.
Amazingly rich black mulch dirt under about a foot of chips had developed which will really fertilize the sandy soil at buddies garden.
Even found a couple morel mushrooms growing on the pile.
I’ll take pics tomorrow when we haul more and use my 3 point tiller to mix the mulch into the garden.
Onions and taters going in shortly after.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a novel idea for a raised bed. I'll post pics when I get it rigged up. It won't take near as much material to build if my thinking is right. May be a couple of weeks before I get the time.
I've got 2 more to build and place before the raised bed area is complete . Time is the key . Look forward to seeing this novel idea.
Yep. They say to wait until soil temp is 50. Checking the Mesonet it’s 51 today in OKC area. Should be a little higher next week
After leaving the accountant Tuesday I came home and put the taters down. Bedded in a pile of former round bale compost the cows danced on.
Well, as previously said, we don’t grow a garden anymore because of our travels, but have been helping a buddy get in his 1/2 acre patch. Not as sophisticated as some of you folks but he shares buckets of veggies when we are home.
Fell into a goldmine today. He had noticed a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road had a huge pile of wood chips from one of those contract tree trimmers piled up in his pasture for years, so he stopped in and asked what his plans were for them. The guy said he gave the company permission to dump chips as he needed some to create mulch. He had to leave town for a week unexpectedly, coming home to this huge pile.
He basically begged us to take all we wanted, so today started hauling them in my military surplus dump trailer.
Amazingly rich black mulch dirt under about a foot of chips had developed which will really fertilize the sandy soil at buddies garden.
Even found a couple morel mushrooms growing on the pile.
I’ll take pics tomorrow when we haul more and use my 3 point tiller to mix the mulch into the garden.
Onions and taters going in shortly after.
We got a few loads of chips late last year as they were clearing for the upcoming fiber run. I bedded the 3 chicken coop floors with it. When appropriate I'll pull it from there and place it where I deem needed. Then repeat.
Saint Patrick's day is nearing.
Corned beef and

Attachments

• 20230311_103020.jpg
    20230311_103020.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I planted a big garden for several years, but after using raised beds for a couple years, it sure does seem like a more efficient and productive way to grow vegetables. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I planted a big garden for several years, but after using raised beds for a couple years, it sure does seem like a more efficient and productive way to grow vegetables. :anyone:
If I ever garden again, raised beds will be the way.
I don’t bend over as well as I used to for weeding and picking.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the last peach tree tractor supply in wilburton had today. I got it at a very reduced price. It just felt loose and I opened the bag up and it doesn't have much root. It'll go in a container in the greenhouse so I can baby it along and try to get some roots going.View attachment 355329View attachment 355330
Should be ok, I might take the branches down some, which I do anyway. I've seen worse and heavy root pruning makes more roots grow. At a discount from $14.99 there are no complaints, I just dropped $60 on the green gage I got, which was a bargain all thing considered. But I got to hit up the tractor supply.

My personal philosophy would be to plant it where you want it rather than putting it in a pot. Every time you transplant you set it back. It is better to be mudded in good with native soil then dropping it in with pot soil. I always take all the pot soil off when I buy potted trees and then pour it on the surface.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom