2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my potatoes planted. Had 20 lbs lasoda reds cut up and had to put off planting. I thought I put them up in my storage barn . Found them under my greenhouse bench😡. Got some mold but planted them anyway. Plus some leftovers from last year.
I had a bunch of small huckleberry gold left over and planted those as well.
Wasn't feeling real confident on the lasoda so I went and got 50 lb of Pontiac reds and 10 lb of white kennebec .
I planted a bunch whole just because I didn't want to wait for them to skin over . That's how I wound up waiting for it to dry up enough.
Probably around 90-100 lb planted.
If they all make I'll have plenty. I may have a dig-N-shoot. 😅
I've planted taters for many years always letting them scab over after leaving at least two eyes on the cut. Had great luck until the gophers decided they liked taters too and ate the bottom half of the entire row.
The buddy in my last post just throws the entire seed potato into the row saying they need to be dipped in Sulphur before letting them scab and I questioned him about that.
I never did, what would Sulphur do to enhance the seed tater?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've planted taters for many years always letting them scab over after leaving at least two eyes on the cut. Had great luck until the gophers decided they liked taters too and ate the bottom half of the entire row.
The buddy in my last post just throws the entire seed potato into the row saying they need to be dipped in Sulphur before letting them scab and I questioned him about that.
I never did, what would Sulphur do to enhance the seed tater?
Helps prevent rot and gives the eyes a boost of acid.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you please explain your setup? Is that for watering?
Yes sir, rumor has it if you water from the bottom the roots will grow down into the soil much better and make the plant more healthy. Also you don't have to water near as often like you would from the top. Quite a few youtube videos with folks doing it so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I just took coffee cans and drilled 8 holes around the outside (top and bottom) then drilled a hole in the top for the water tube. Put a weep hole in the bucket above the holes in the coffee can to prevent the bucket from getting swamped with a rain.

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Technically you wouldn't have to put the pipe in the coffee can. As long as there are holes anywhere in the can the water will equalize.
The main purpose of wicking planters is to prevent root rot and have a air space for air pruning the roots. You just want enough soil in contact with the water reservoir to wick up to prevent the roots from drying out.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a start on my raised bed project. Still have the top row to go. Should have it ready to plant sometime next week, which should be perfect! Gonna try some squash in my front yard flower beds this year….should be interesting!

FA830EB9-2F42-4097-9A96-4FC3444D1B64.jpeg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a trick I use that successfully keeps birds and maybe even deer out of your garden. Especially at seedling time. Zoom in on the short 5 second video to see small flashes of light. Probably even moon light at night. Merely pull the tape out of an old VHS tape and tie lengths to posts ets. Takes almost no breeze to make it flap and reflect light from the magnetic side.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang!! You ever grow Romanesco? I've got a neighbor who ordered seeds and asked if I would plant them for her. It'll have to be a fall crop this year since didn't start early enough for the Spring.

Picking lettuce and spinach now along with beet tops. Asparagus is slowing down but the cooler night temps will get us a few more before going to fern. Put in the cucumbers I started from seed but might have put out too soon as a couple of those 40 degree nights put the hurt on them. Still some green so hoping will recover. Getting a hard rain all morning.+-

Latest posts

Top Bottom