204 Ruger vs .22-250 for night coyote/bobcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I came to that realization after posting. I'm still looking for what fits my desires.

Seems Ruger offers the
204 American in 22" Predator that takes AICS mags, and 16" Yote/Ranch that takes AR mags. That's odd to me to use two different mags.

I wonder if you could just buy the 22" Predator and swap the stock from a "Ranch" model and net what I'm wanting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 204 needs a longer barrel to be optimized. I believe it has to be 24” minimum.

Also the 204 is defining loud without hearing protection.
Especially when my buddies AR .204 has a muzzle brake on it. He swung on a running coyote while slightly behind me one time. The side blast almost took my head off. We had a serious discussion about brakes at that moment. It's no longer on his rifle.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a fun fact. During the guns and ammunition panic of 2020, I visited several Army and Air Force Exchanges with gun counters. I marveled at the long lines and noted that all ammunition was wiped out except for .204 Ruger (no demand, or rifles in stock). If I was not already adequately prepared, I'd have found a .204 bolt gun elsewhere and then went back to the Exchange(s).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a fun fact. During the guns and ammunition panic of 2020, I visited several Army and Air Force Exchanges with gun counters. I marveled at the long lines and noted that all ammunition was wiped out except for .204 Ruger (no demand, or rifles in stock). If I was not already adequately prepared, I'd have found a .204 bolt gun elsewhere and then went back to the Exchange(s).
Man, back in the day you could get some real deals in the PX's as we called them in that period.
In the 70's, I bought a Browning SA-22 for a tad over $100 on a sale in Pusan Korea. If I remember right, they were not going to sell firearms anymore, only ammunition.
Do they sell firearms now? I'm eligible to visit them but haven't .

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, back in the day you could get some real deals in the PX's as we called them in that period.
In the 70's, I bought a Browning SA-22 for a tad over $100 on a sale in Pusan Korea. If I remember right, they were not going to sell firearms anymore, only ammunition.
Do they sell firearms now? I'm eligible to visit them but haven't .
Many of the larger AAFES and MCX exchanges still sell firearms. Often, if the military installations in a metropolitan region are governed by a Joint Base Command, only one in the area will have firearms, ammo, and accessories. For instance, Joint Base San Antonio only has a firearms department at the Randolph AFB BX (Fort Sam Houston and the rest of the AFBs do not). I don't think the prices are generally particularly discounted, but there's no sales tax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom