204 Ruger vs .22-250 for night coyote/bobcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I removed exactly 48 in a 24 month span on my place over 2018-2020. I’ve only killed four in the last six months, but I'm probably going to have to get back at it soon.

My biggest problem lately is feral dog packs. Dogs that are ranging from 70 - 100+ lb pyrenees mixes and aggressive. Not only do I have cattle, but I have kids. They're killing neighbor's cats...got up on another neighbor's porch and growled at him when he tried to shoo them off.

We won't discuss removing those here.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yep...you bust a coyote or bobcat at night with a "night scope" here in OK...it had better be in the process of killing livestock or poultry. That is the only time you have a green light to kill them by any means necessary. Otherwise you need a permit from the local game warden and a shotgun using #6 shot or smaller (for coyotes)...bobcats are a no-go all together

I've put coyotes down that were in my herds at night, harassing calves. Between coyotes and feral dog packs I've lost calves before...the last being in the spring of 2019. I kill everything now...but it helps to stay on the right side of the law.

I thought if the predator is on your land regardless if it’s at night or day it’s your property so you should be able to kill it. Even if it’s not pursuing your livestock.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought if the predator is on your land regardless if it’s at night or day it’s your property so you should be able to kill it. Even if it’s not pursuing your livestock.
At night only if in the pursuit of killing livestock. If there have been changes to the law made in the last couple years I'am not aware. I have not keep up lately cause I have not had a issue since I obtained my LGD dogs.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at options for those two. Would be on a dedicated night predator hunting rig with a night scope. Looking for "point and shoot" ballistics out to 300 or so.
Any reason to choose one over the other? Does handloading make one a no-brainer over the other?
To even the playing Field, let's say it's going to be a bolt gun with an appropriate length barrel for max performance and it wont be something I'm doing lots of stalking with. Lastly, I would be using a suppressor so that should mitigate some of the recoil differences.
Both of these cartridges are laser like in trajectory. Both kill predators good with 22-250 getting a slight edge. Ive reloaded the 204 ruger for a couple bolt guns and found accuracy in several 32, 35, 39 40 45 gr bullets. Shot some factory and handloaded 22-250 back in the 80's at prairie dogs and was impressed. They are similar in ballistics and performance. The 204 ruger factory ammo in the past has been priced less than 22-250 ammo. The 204 ruger has less recoil and muzzle flash along with longer barrel life. It uses less powder for instance (W748 40 gr in 22-250 vs 28.5 gr in 204 ruger). I would probably go with a 204 ruger.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already have a Pdog gas gun set up for .223 using 50gr Zmax pills pushing 3400ish FPS but don't want to touch that one for a night scope gun.

I could replicate it, but what's the fun in that...and while it's getting close to the performance of the two I inquired about, it's still not there.

Sounds like if powder consumption and recoil aren't concerns to me than the 22-250 is getting the nod here.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main thing that has me intrigued by .204 is that it could just be another upper for one of my gas guns...but for the price of putting a quality upper together you can get into a decent dedicated bolt gun.

IIRC the 204 also wins for it's bullet BC which helps with the "point and shoot" side of things and minimizes wind drift when out in open fields here in Nebraska.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main thing that has me intrigued by .204 is that it could just be another upper for one of my gas guns...but for the price of putting a quality upper together you can get into a decent dedicated bolt gun.

IIRC the 204 also wins for it's bullet BC which helps with the "point and shoot" side of things and minimizes wind drift when out in open fields here in Nebraska.
Guess you should’ve stated you were hunting in Nebraska upfront so everyone can pull the legal beagle panties out of their butts. :lmfao:

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a custom Rem 700 22-250 listed, comes with 600 rounds of Win silver ballistic tip free. Saving over $3000 from what i got in it. You will get alot more than 300 yards out of also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom