204 Ruger vs .22-250 for night coyote/bobcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm!!!!Browning X-Bolt Predator Hunter A-TACS AU Bolt Action Rifle - 204 Ruger - The X-Bolt Predator Hunter A-TACS AU is suppressor ready, supplied with muzzle brake and thread protector. ... The X-Bolt's new three-lever Feather Trigger provides a clean, crisp pull with no take-up or creep and minimal overtravel.

Previously mrshooterou
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s funny you mention that, I’ve been working on changing state statutes on night predator hunting. I have submitted the language to a few folks I know, State Senator Jessica Garvin has her aides preparing it and (Rep)Ty Burns in the Wildlife Committee knows it’s coming soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well maybe not. Ruger is 1:10 twist. How well will that do with lighter bullets?
1:10 is marginal for 55 grain. Some bullets run just fine, others won’t.
62 grain loves it in one of my rifles. It’s an in between rifling probably designed to be legal for deer in some states?
It’s funny you mention that, I’ve been working on changing state statutes on night predator hunting. I have submitted the language to a few folks I know, State Senator Jessica Garvin has her aides preparing it and (Rep)Ty Burns in the Wildlife Committee knows it’s coming soon.
will this allow coyote shooting at night with thermal sights?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess you should’ve stated you were hunting in Nebraska upfront so everyone can pull the legal beagle panties out of their butts. :lmfao:
True, this isn't the Nebraska Shooters website. I'm pretty sure most of the folks on this board have recently expressed their opinions of people who break game laws. Then this guy comes onto an OK site and asks about something that's illegal here. Why would we promulgate that behavior?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmm!!!!Browning X-Bolt Predator Hunter A-TACS AU Bolt Action Rifle - 204 Ruger - The X-Bolt Predator Hunter A-TACS AU is suppressor ready, supplied with muzzle brake and thread protector. ... The X-Bolt's new three-lever Feather Trigger provides a clean, crisp pull with no take-up or creep and minimal overtravel.
+1 for the Browning X-Bolt. I owned two myself, before they sank in my old boat.

Previously mrshooterou
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1:10 is marginal for 55 grain. Some bullets run just fine, others won’t.
62 grain loves it in one of my rifles. It’s an in between rifling probably designed to be legal for deer in some states?

will this allow coyote shooting at night with thermal sights?
Yes, I worded it to allow rifles with night vision, thermal and lights. Think it of a “hog night hunting exemption” for coyotes.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I worded it to allow rifles with night vision, thermal and lights. Think it of a “hog night hunting exemption” for coyotes.
Brace yourself for a fight. It’s been attempted before in the past. Have you got the trapping organizations onboard. They have quite a bit of pull and you haven’t I would definitely reach out to them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas has zero restrictions for night hunting predators and pigs.
The outfitters sport some amazing elevated vehicles set up to hunt to control coyotes and pigs.
They will never be eliminated so control is the issue.
Control the predators and pigs, you then help the game animals that nest on the ground only to have them raided by predators that are currently out of control in Oklahoma.
Is the current shortage of wild turkey a disease or too many nest robbers? Nobody knows currently but my personal observation says predators as we have turkey visit our yard daily. I see the hens come into the 3 acre yard to bug In the afternoon. I know where the nests are and it’s discouraging to see broken egg shells when the nest is discovered by nest robbers.
Hopefully you will get something accomplished. Our ground nesting game need some relief.

13814124-00AC-4BC9-915B-8EB475AB11DC.jpeg

Previously mrshooterou
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brace yourself for a fight. It’s been attempted before in the past. Have you got the trapping organizations onboard. They have quite a bit of pull and you haven’t I would definitely reach out to them.
It surely has been.. but I have reason to be optimistic. Things have changed since then. I have friends in trapping organizations and some that are state nuisance control operators for the wildlife department.

Texas is really steps ahead of us, I wish the great guys at the ODWC would see this and act. As most of us know, the ODWC is self funded. You’re starting to see them run so many raffles on Facebook, email newsletters and on the GoOutdoors app to make extra money. In the next few years they will be taking as much of a hit from the economic issues as the private citizens are. They cut the limit on trout “because of the rising cost”, that was before our supply chains went to hell in a hand basket.
I’d like to see Oklahoma sportsman afforded the same opportunities as Texas where applicable, new ideas that would open doors to growth…opposed to fighting the dollar.

Texas Parks and Wildlife started the Toyota Sharelunker program that excites and draws fisherman from surrounding states to chase these mammoth fish. They are loaned to the program, where the eggs/fry are maintained until released as fingerlings back into Texas waters.

We have untapped potential here, the predator night hunting exemption is just a small drop in the bucket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom