22 Cans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I'm ready to start the process for my 1st can. I'm looking for a 22lr can for my multiple hosts. I have a subscription to silencer reviews and see the dB rating for all the different cans, but the list is also from 2009. I know you can get the Tac65 for around $200 and the spectre, sparrow, and prodigy for about double the price $400-425. My question is for the increase in price, is it worth it to save >5dB?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6dB is double the sound pressure. You can get a $200 can and you may very well be happy, but if you want something that will last forever, get a take apart SS can like the Sparrow SS. It is an awesome can that will handle pretty much anything you can throw at it rimfire wise. I've sold more sparrows than any of the other .22 cans combined. They just plain rock. No one I know has ever brought their Sparrow home and wished they'd bought a tac-65, but I have heard people lament the other direction.

I enjoy my demo Sparrow the most on my .17HMR bolt gun. Can't do that with a cheap aluminum can.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5db is not very loud by itself but 5db added to a loud noise is a noticeable difference.

If money is an issue for you then silencers may not be the venue you need to tread, remember that you are going to take a $200 hit on the stamp when you sell or trade it off because that is not recoverable in any way, nor can you reuse it on your next one.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get the best can you can afford. The tax stamp effectively negates swapping up, so it's best to get the one you really want right off the bat. FWIW, the ease of cleaning makes the Sparrow or Spectre worth every penny, and the extra suppression is the cherry on top.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the cash lol. I just wanted to know if the 2-5db difference is really noticeable to the human ear, or more about bragging among the nfa crowd. After reading more and more reviews I'm leaning toward the SS sparrow can. Thanks for the input guys

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend the spectre. The sparrow has a VERY noticeable first round pop. The first shot is much louder than the following shots. The spectre does not have that problem.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not recommend the spectre. It is a beast to take apart when dirty and the availiability is very poor right now since the acquisition by SilencerCo. The FRP on the sparrow is also not bad at all. If you're worried about it, a mist from a nasal spray bottle in the blast area before the first round at the range will clear it right up. Once the can gets dirty the FRP is diminished.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Spectre can be somewhat difficult to disassemble when it is very dirty. However, I have had good luck getting them apart using the factory tool that comes with them. But just as dustingaunder posted, SWR cans are not the easiest to obtain since the merger with SilencerCo. Long delays, various excuses, low stock and customer service that is almost as bad as AAC.

Buy the best can that fills your needs, I never have understood the point of paying the $200.00 transfer on a $150.00-$200.00 can. Almost everyone offers a can that can be disassembled for cleaning, a big plus in 22 cans.

I do not recommend the spectre. It is a beast to take apart when dirty and the availiability is very poor right now since the acquisition by SilencerCo. The FRP on the sparrow is also not bad at all. If you're worried about it, a mist from a nasal spray bottle in the blast area before the first round at the range will clear it right up. Once the can gets dirty the FRP is diminished.

Latest posts

Top Bottom