.223, .243, 22-250 or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 would be the cheapest and most common ammo, and the Savage Axis you mentioned, a Ruger American, or Remington 783 would all probably be plenty accurate enough and not expensive.

I have a 22-250 I would sell, pm me if you want to discuss, but it's a Rem 700 so one of the above would probably be less expensive. Ballistics are better though, in the 4000 fps range or just below.

And unless you reload, you can't get 22-250 as cheap as .223, and some places might not stock it (although it's not at all uncommon).

Thanks for the offer. Recoil and cost are my 2 main issues. I have some $ to throw at this but not a bunch. (Gotta do something with this Gov handout. :gun1:) Trying to keep it between $400-$500 for the rifle and enough ammo to practice with. Truthfully, this probably isn't going to be for much else besides the coyotes that like to get to close to the house and chickens. Maybe a hog if needed, but we haven't seen them for about a year now. It just needs to be something she can handle since I'm only out there on weekends.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest .223, if you look around you can likely get one for close to the money you could get selling the SKS and the light weight of the AR would likely be more manageable for you wife. Plus, should you decide in the future to get a rifle in a different caliber (.300 as an example) you can just get different upper(s) and do so at less expense than buying a new rifle in a different caliber.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. Recoil and cost are my 2 main issues. I have some $ to throw at this but not a bunch. (Gotta do something with this Gov handout. :gun1:) Trying to keep it between $400-$500 for the rifle and enough ammo to practice with. Truthfully, this probably isn't going to be for much else besides the coyotes that like to get to close to the house and chickens. Maybe a hog if needed, but we haven't seen them for about a year now. It just needs to be something she can handle since I'm only out there on weekends.

This meets both criteria.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/search.php/q/17wsm

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest .223, if you look around you can likely get one for close to the money you could get selling the SKS and the light weight of the AR would likely be more manageable for you wife. Plus, should you decide in the future to get a rifle in a different caliber (.300 as an example) you can just get different upper(s) and do so at less expense than buying a new rifle in a different caliber.

Not selling the SKS, but the pawn shop does have a nice Savage Axis in .223 with a wood stock that I wanna take a look at. (The Missus prefers real wood over plastic. :blush: ).
I have a couple of scopes laying around so that's taken care of.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not selling the SKS, but the pawn shop does have a nice Savage Axis in .223 with a wood stock that I wanna take a look at. (The Missus prefers real wood over plastic. :blush: ).
I have a couple of scopes laying around so that's taken care of.

Sounds to me like the answer may be right under your nose. I, too, would recommend the .223 and I'm not even a big .223 fan! It will do everything you want to do at a low price, with little recoil, and ammo is plentiful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$350 AR kit at the below link, just pick up a stripped lower for $50 and for $400 you have everything you need. You tube video will show you how to put it together.

https://moriartiarmaments.com/ar-15...cal-rifle-kit-ar-15-16-5.56-nato-tactical-kit
Agree with all the above on the .223, .22 mag, and .17 WSM. I own all but the WSM and have seen the effects of the .17 WSM at the ranges your talking about. It probably has the least recoil of any of the above, zero issues with killing humanely and the ammo is not expensive.
All that being said, it would be to your advantage since the wife is in cahoots with buying a new gun to go the AR route. :rubhands:
The hype around it with all the accessories and mods can be kind of mind boggling, but when you build one yourself, it becomes like a light being turned on over your head and you will think why in the heck have I not done this before? It's a very simple platform in its design. Nothing needed but a FMJ bullet for a field strip to separate the upper from the lower and clean everything inside.
I would volunteer to show you the platform at any time or place to let you know how it operates so you can make your own decision.
Factory loads down to .45 grain are available for even lower recoil and higher velocity than the standard .55 grain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom