.223/5.56 to .22lr conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking around and found a AR15 .223/5.56 to .22lr conversion kit by CMMG that I'm interested in. Saw some good and bad reviews on YT and seeing if any of my local yokels have tried it. Thoughts?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been using one for years. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it, enough to break the welds on the rear plate that stops the bolt so I had to re weld it.

I occasionally get a ftf or double feed, but for the most part it's good to go using Federal bulk ammo.
I recommend using Black dog mags with the metal feed lips. I've had the best results from those.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
buy a complete .22lr upper from PSA and some black dog machine magazines. You will not regret that purchase.

Hrm, nah. I've only got a stock-standard (save a few pieces of furniture) DPMS AR from back in the late 90's based off the SN. Right now PSA is out of stock but I found a clearance post on their FB from a few years back that had them at 249, on clearance. The CMMG bolt and mag's was only 189 (on sale, normally 209), and it comes with 3 mags. If I had a custom lower full of TOL parts, yeah I would go the PSA route. For what I have, not really worth it.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hrm, nah. I've only got a stock-standard (save a few pieces of furniture) DPMS AR from back in the late 90's based off the SN. Right now PSA is out of stock but I found a clearance post on their FB from a few years back that had them at 249, on clearance. The CMMG bolt and mag's was only 189 (on sale, normally 209), and it comes with 3 mags. If I had a custom lower full of TOL parts, yeah I would go the PSA route. For what I have, not really worth it.

i understand if you just want a plinker the CMMG conversion would do the trick. but i wanted an actual 22lr barrel for accuracy reasons and could not build an upper for less than a complete one from PSA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom