.223 and 5.56 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a definite answer as ive found answer both ways on Google through various articles.

Is it safe to fire 5.56 through 223 (phone won't allow period in right spot) or 223 through 5.56?

About to buy another and don't want to risk injury mixing up ammo.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it: 5.56 ammo is loaded to higher pressure. So usually I hear you're good to shoot 223 ammo in 5.56 gun but not the other way. I know some that fire it both ways.

Last edited:

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, don’t buy a .223 unless it’s the Wylde chamber and you will be good until you reload with pistol powder by mistake. I hear that’s hard on a barrel and body parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read all of this 2 times. He actually measured pressures.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

I have shot 5.56 and .223 factory ammo in both of my savage axis rifles and both had slower velocity that what I handload.
Brass is not thicker between the 5.56 or .223 .. just depends on head stamp as to which one is thicker.

My handloads kick harder than any factory ammo also.. not that a .223 kicks hard.
When i first began loading for .223 there was a dark skinned president and supplies were drying up.

I tested 3 different primers in my .223 and I kept upping the load using each primer until I got severe primer cratering or a hole in the primer.
CCI 450 is all I use now.
CCI 400 and CCI 550 were the other 2 tested.
when the cci 400 failed due to a punctured primer the 550 hung in there with severe cratering and the CCI 450 had just a tiny bit of cratering.
Rounds extracted fine and fed fine. Gun was never hurt..That Axis went on to shoot the smallest 3 shot group I ever shot at 300 yards.. under 1".
It is my go to gun now after seeing many vermin crumble in their tracks.

Maybe you say my savage chamber is large..but I think not as it does not like Lapua cases.
Accuracy is horrible and gets great after i turn necks down.
Federal cases measure .224" ID in the neck after being shot from that gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom