.223 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot close to a dozen deer with the Rem .55 grain PSP. Longest shot was 210 yds.
Never had one run more than 40 yds before expiring.
Afterwards, while field dressing, I was satisfied with the damage to the internal organs.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently assembled a .223 and was considering using it for deer season. However, since I've not shot it much will probably use my tried and true .270 or 30 06. I know lots of guys who have taken many deer with the .223

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some Hornady stuff I plan on using if I get out this year. I will edit later with what it is exactly. Deer arent real hard to kill so any hunting round you can find in .223 would probably be sufficient.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady 75 gr Tap Hollow Points.

www.hornady.com_assets_images_products_ammo_packaging_ammo_tap_fpd_rifle_pkg.jpg

You can get rounds with 100 gr bullets... but I understand that they have to be loaded one at a time like a bolt action due to bullet length. And, I've read you really need something like a 1:7-1:8 barrel twist for the heavier bullets.

But I'll probably stick with the Savage 30-06 for deer w/ 150 gr Federal Fusion rounds.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use a BTSP and shoot em in the neck. They wont run anywhere.
If you hit em anywhere in the neck, they drop, if you miss, its a clean miss and they aren't running off wounded.

Latest posts

Top Bottom