.223 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the shot placement. You can wound a deer with a 300 win mag if you don't hit him correctly. I was at a taxidermist who was doing a full mount on a deer that had initially been shot in the lower leg then tracked and killed proper. Probably a lot of pain and suffering for the poor creature.

BULLSEYE63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say Hornady 75 gr. TAP would be a good choice, A friend of mine said he used it for hog hunting and said it would drop the hogs instantly . But as said previously, shot placement has a lot to do with it. I think i may give this round a try this deer season.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say Hornady 75 gr. TAP would be a good choice, A friend of mine said he used it for hog hunting and said it would drop the hogs instantly . But as said previously, shot placement has a lot to do with it. I think i may give this round a try this deer season.

Can it be bought locally(Wal-mart, Academy, Dick's sporting good)? Of do you have to find it online? Any have a good source for it online and I might as well buy a couple hundred rounds seeing how everything is just going to go up from here.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per fish and game regulations on .22 center fire they must be 55gr or heavier pointed soft point or hollowpoint. Do not make the mistake of taking partition point 5.56 ammo into the woods with you.

Shot placement is key as well, but that goes with anything.

That's why I have gone .300 blackout this year, stupid 5 round capacity limit no longer applies. And high quality partition point ammo can be used for improved feed reliability.

BULLSEYE63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
j-dubb, I've since learned that the 75 grain TAP my friend used was the hot loaded 5.56 T2 75 grain round that Hornady only sells to Law Enforcement, But you can find it on some classified gun forums for sell to civies for around $1.00 a round. Just don't shoot it in a .223 caliber gun or it may not be safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom