.223 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Horniday V-Max 55 grain works, not quite enough penetration in my opinion, but like others have said shot placement matters more than anything

Really mind shot placement with V-max - there will be jacket fragments everywhere ...

Read below:

Per fish and game regulations on .22 center fire they must be 55gr or heavier pointed soft point or hollowpoint. Do not make the mistake of taking partition point 5.56 ammo into the woods with you.

Shot placement is key as well, but that goes with anything.

That's why I have gone .300 blackout this year, stupid 5 round capacity limit no longer applies. And high quality partition point ammo can be used for improved feed reliability.

I actually did not know that until just now, and he's right; it's in the regs.

No ballistic tip bullets allowed.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
j-dubb, I've since learned that the 75 grain TAP my friend used was the hot loaded 5.56 T2 75 grain round that Hornady only sells to Law Enforcement, But you can find it on some classified gun forums for sell to civies for around $1.00 a round. Just don't shoot it in a .223 caliber gun or it may not be safe.

Incorrect, I can buy this and so can you.

Out of stock at first link but available here

PawPaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a
55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point
bullet and having an overall cartridge case
length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles
are not legal).
I can't see where it says this only applies to 22 centerfires. Somebody help me out here.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a
55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point
bullet and having an overall cartridge case
length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles
are not legal).
I can't see where it says this only applies to 22 centerfires. Somebody help me out here.

The bullet weight isn't specific to .22cal rifles, but the magazine capacity is.

I still don't understand that restriction, can someone shed some light?

"Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.
Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.
Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.
Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.
Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, supressors (silencers), laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal. Beginning Nov. 1, 2012, landowners hunting on their own property and guests of those landowners will be permitted to use suppressors."

Latest posts

Top Bottom