.223 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read below:

I actually did not know that until just now, and he's right; it's in the regs.

No ballistic tip bullets allowed.

From my talks with Game wardens, and calling the highest person on the list I could get a hold of a few years ago that statement is about using anything that is not a FMJ bullet. I was calling them and asking what was allowed for using my M&P. they consider partitions a soft point because the copper jacket does not cover the ballistic tip.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a small buck the other day with sierra 69 grain Matchking (HPBT) over a hot load of Varget entered in front of the front shoulder 2/3 up the deer and stopped under the skin behind the rib cage approximately 15-18 in penetration. There was only half of the heart left, maybe a quarter of one lung, liver was just nicked by a fragment, and stomach by another bullet recovered weighed about 35 grains. He ran about 25 yards and crashed, and now time to have some steaks :D

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and I both got bucks using 65gr. Sierra Gamekings in a .223 handload. His dropped right there and mine traveled less than 50 yds. The bullets passed through the chest cavity and turned the lungs to mush on both deer.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
until I got on this forum, I had never heard of folks doing so. Grew up in Noble/Payne county and just never heard of guys using it, my bil game ranger did catch a poacher using one if that counts, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom