.223 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a 60 grain partition in 223 will get the job done well , assuming you do your part . I have shot two deer with 223 it worked as well as anything else I have used . I wouldn't use it for critters larger than deer , but it is used on much larger game in Alaska regularly .

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boy & I have killed a bunch of deer with his 223 in the last 10 years. Started out using brown bear 62gr soft points then switched to 55gr VMAX when we couldn't get the brown bear anymore. Never had one go 20 yards, most were drt's all high shoulder shots. My son in law killed a nice 15 point with his 223 using 55gr soft points, all our shots are under 150 yards. They work just fine deer aren't hard to kill

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the 75 grain Hornady BTHP on a couple deer and many feral hogs. No not my favorite bit works pretty good generally. I have never lost a deer but have had several feral hogs leave the scene after what I thought were good solid chest hits.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the 75 grain Hornady BTHP on a couple deer and many feral hogs. No not my favorite bit works pretty good generally. I have never lost a deer but have had several feral hogs leave the scene after what I thought were good solid chest hits.
Pig vitals are further forward and lower than deer.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever use an AR-15 for whitetail? I’ll probably still take my bow this weekend, but part of me wants to take my AR instead.

If so what rounds are you using? I was thinking maybe go up to a 77grain round instead of just a good ole green tip.

I know @dennishoddy has mentioned using one but wondering if anyone else does

I don't think you guys are shooting western Oklahoma deer w/.223 and they only run 20yds. :)

I took the largest deer I’ve ever harvested in 2017 with mine using 55 grain Vmax hollow point. Dropped him where he stood at 150 yards. Weighed in at the processor 195lbs field dressed with bottom half of back legs removed and no tenderloins.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the largest deer I’ve ever harvested in 2017 with mine using 55 grain Vmax hollow point. Dropped him where he stood at 150 yards. Weighed in at the processor 195lbs field dressed with bottom half of back legs removed and no tenderloins.
That was a big deer and qualify as a western Oklahoma deer. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom