22lr a good get home rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I coyote attacked the front left fender of my car one morning. I saw him bolt across the highway angled to cross in front of my car with a look on his face like "I can beat him. I KNOW I can beat him!"

He didn't. Hit the fender right in front of the front tire which was spinning down the highway at 55 mph and I caught a glimpse of him rolling up the road in my mirror. For whatever reason, that was the funniest thing I've seen if a while.

I guess it didn't kill him, he wasn't there when I went back the opposite way a half hour later. :rollingla

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I coyote attacked the front left fender of my car one morning. I saw him bolt across the highway angled to cross in front of my car with a look on his face like "I can beat him. I KNOW I can beat him!"

He didn't. Hit the fender right in front of the front tire which was spinning down the highway at 55 mph and I caught a glimpse of him rolling up the road in my mirror. For whatever reason, that was the funniest thing I've seen if a while.

I guess it didn't kill him, he wasn't there when I went back the opposite way a half hour later. :rollingla

I hit one at about 85 one night in my little company car. Did over $2k damage to the plastic around the front of the car.

Lease company wanted to know why I didn't call the cops and file a police report. "ya'll ain't from 'round here are ya'll?"

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hit one at about 85 one night in my little company car. Did over $2k damage to the plastic around the front of the car.

Lease company wanted to know why I didn't call the cops and file a police report. "ya'll ain't from 'round here are ya'll?"
A friend of mine just hit a coyote in a ford suv. (Maybe explorer) and did about $1800 in damage. Coyote ran away. Lol.

I ran into 3 or 4 pigs in a lifted 87 Blazer. Bumper was likely above the pigs, but the straight front axle mowed em down. No damage

I hit 1 pig in a 2007 3/4 ton pick up and it knocked a fog light out and bent front bumper some. Plastic fog lamp housing was busted. Replaced fog lamp and pulled bumper out myself. About $75 to replace fog lamp IIRC

I hit an owl in the 2007 3/4 ton pick up but it caught the front of hood and it did about a grand in damage.

Crazy the difference in damage from different animals because of vehicle design and build. Of course location of impact makes a difference as well.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I was lucky. Not a scratch on my car, he hit on the side of the fender and just bounced off. I still don't know why it was so funny to see him rolling up the road behind me, but for some reason I actually LOL'd.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hit an owl in the 2007 3/4 ton pick up but it caught the front of hood and it did about a grand in damage.

Crazy the difference in damage from different animals because of vehicle design and build. Of course location of impact makes a difference as well.

I had a buddy that totaled a POS old Honda one time by hitting a buzzard.

Hit the grill and point of the hood, bounced up and took out the windshield, rolled over the top and cratered the roof and clipped the trunk lid on the way down. Only thing that escaped were the 1/4's and the doors. Had to have it towed. Couldn't see thru the windshield.

One got up in front of me from a bar ditch on a gravel road around Guthrie a few years back. I was driving an F250 on 20" tires. I was going about as slow as he was, so when I hit him square in the middle of the hood on his ass, he did a front flip, and disappeared below the hood. I looked in the rearview, but there was too much dust to see. He was gone when I came back thru a 1/2 hour later so I guess he survived the encounter, but he sure went ass over appetite when I popped him. No damage to the truck that I could find.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a suppressor, but some have said that it still makes a big difference even with supersonic ammo.

Color me clueless... :anyone:
:drunk2:
Pain in the butt to get and the $200 stamp. But definitely worth it for .22LR and 300 BO (BTW do it now before you can't) Wife blasted a diller 6 times with my .22LR pistol with no earplugs.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. No but there is a pack that lives in the area that has no qualms about coming up to houses. Also wild hogs and mountain lions. Add the neighbor's agressive dogs into the mix and I figure better safe than sorry.

I'd be a lot more afraid of the neighbor's dogs than I ever would a yote. I've spent hours sitting on my ass, hidden in the snow with several hundreds of dollars of equipment surrounding me trying to coax a coyote within a couple hundert yds so's I could kill him. I'm not sure I'd spend much time worrying about them killing me. Dogs, that's a different deal.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy that totaled a POS old Honda one time by hitting a buzzard.

Hit the grill and point of the hood, bounced up and took out the windshield, rolled over the top and cratered the roof and clipped the trunk lid on the way down. Only thing that escaped were the 1/4's and the doors. Had to have it towed. Couldn't see thru the windshield.

One got up in front of me from a bar ditch on a gravel road around Guthrie a few years back. I was driving an F250 on 20" tires. I was going about as slow as he was, so when I hit him square in the middle of the hood on his ass, he did a front flip, and disappeared below the hood. I looked in the rearview, but there was too much dust to see. He was gone when I came back thru a 1/2 hour later so I guess he survived the encounter, but he sure went ass over appetite when I popped him. No damage to the truck that I could find.
I hit the owl doing about 80 mph. Stopped to check trans cooler/radiator and continued on to the lake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom