22lr a good get home rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meet Dolly...
I've carried for over 60 years and have never seen a SHTF event. That being said I do carry a .45 ever chance I get. I'm comfortable with 9 rounds and a.spare mag or two. However, especially in the hot summer, it's somewhat of a chore carrying that large a gun. I had a S&W M&P 340 a few years ago which was a sweet pocket pistol but didn't feel the need for an ultralight. 357 so sold it to a forum member who still really likes it, I think. Awhile back I came across Dolly and she is almost never out of my pocket. I'm long retired so seldom in bad places in late night. Mostly around home or the RV or in my boat or the woods. It's usually loaded with the new Federal Punch load which has tested to fbi protocol penetration. It's the most fun gun I've had in awhile and accurate enough to hit an eyeball at short range. Better than a sharp stick for protection. And a super plinking gun Named Dolly because it's a pi$$ant gun.

Attachments

• 20210718_175841.jpg
    20210718_175841.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 58

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still not following. Is it for self defense or more like a survival rifle thing? I've seen various "survival rifles" like the reproduction AR7s, but I don't know if that's something distinctly different from a "get home" rifle.

That is a good question. In context it SHOULD mean a self defense firearm. Some people erroneously believe that in a truly apocalyptic event they are going to set out and shoot game while traveling across country (or even 60 miles from home). Them and the 4 million other people in their state with the same idea.

In reality; for something like being stuck in a major riot or civil unrest without law enforcement, you aren't going to be worried about squirrels or rabbits.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a good question. In context it SHOULD mean a self defense firearm. Some people erroneously believe that in a truly apocalyptic event they are going to set out and shoot game while traveling across country (or even 60 miles from home). Them and the 4 million other people in their state with the same idea.

In reality; for something like being stuck in a major riot or civil unrest without law enforcement, you aren't going to be worried about squirrels or rabbits.
Yea I'm not sure about the validity of hunting your way home. I'm not saying it would be a bad idea to have a little .22, but certainly not in place of something for self defense. Namely a concealed pistol.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still not following. Is it for self defense or more like a survival rifle thing? I've seen various "survival rifles" like the reproduction AR7s, but I don't know if that's something distinctly different from a "get home" rifle.
For a long time, the mantra always went "a handgun is for use while getting to your rifle". Simply meaning that a rifle far surpasses any handgun in effectiveness. That takes into account the greater practical accuracy, and the effectiveness of centerfire rifle calibers on soft tissue.

Some people who live in suburban/rural areas but work in urban areas keep a "get home kit" in their vehicles, in case of mass civil unrest. These kits range from basics like extra ammo/mags, individual 1st Aid kit (IFAK) and some water/protein bars, to full combat loadouts, including armor. If all you have is a pistol, your ability to fend off multiple aggressors in urban terrain will be limited. Add a magazine fed rifle and your capability is much greater. For most people this would be a compact AR and a few extra mags.

But what if you're over the hill and not in the best physical shape? Obviously the best answer is "get in shape", but that isn't an option for everyone. If you're really worried about having to carry a heavy loadout for many miles in hostile terrain, a .22lr might be the ticket. Let's say you're "minute of man" at 20 yards with a pistol, but you can do head shots all day long at 50 yards with a .22 rifle. Even though the cartridge effectiveness is much lower, a scoped 10/22 with multiple 25 round mags is going to really discourage anyone from getting too close. Consider it an area denial weapon if you will, with the area in question being anywhere close to you. Bonus points go to it being much cheaper to buy and feed a 10/22, than a 5.56mm AR.

FWIW, I think the ideal balance would be a 10/22 "pocket rifle". Obviously stepping up to a pocket rifle will increase the entry cost, but it will fit into a bag or backpack that's not much longer than the length of a 25 round BX-25 magazine. Obviously this would be in addition to a defense sidearm.

pix307053638.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a long time, the mantra always went "a handgun is for use while getting to your rifle". Simply meaning that a rifle far surpasses any handgun in effectiveness. That takes into account the greater practical accuracy, and the effectiveness of centerfire rifle calibers on soft tissue.

Some people who live in suburban/rural areas but work in urban areas keep a "get home kit" in their vehicles, in case of mass civil unrest. These kits range from basics like extra ammo/mags, individual 1st Aid kit (IFAK) and some water/protein bars, to full combat loadouts, including armor. If all you have is a pistol, your ability to fend off multiple aggressors in urban terrain will be limited. Add a magazine fed rifle and your capability is much greater. For most people this would be a compact AR and a few extra mags.

But what if you're over the hill and not in the best physical shape? Obviously the best answer is "get in shape", but that isn't an option for everyone. If you're really worried about having to carry a heavy loadout for many miles in hostile terrain, a .22lr might be the ticket. Let's say you're "minute of man" at 20 yards with a pistol, but you can do head shots all day long at 50 yards with a .22 rifle. Even though the cartridge effectiveness is much lower, a scoped 10/22 with multiple 25 round mags is going to really discourage anyone from getting too close. Consider it an area denial weapon if you will, with the area in question being anywhere close to you. Bonus points go to it being much cheaper to buy and feed a 10/22, than a 5.56mm AR.

FWIW, I think the ideal balance would be a 10/22 "pocket rifle". Obviously stepping up to a pocket rifle will increase the entry cost, but it will fit into a bag or backpack that's not much longer than the length of a 25 round BX-25 magazine. Obviously this would be in addition to a defense sidearm.

View attachment 214300
Like it and agree but the scope looks as old as many here.. lol..

Latest posts

Top Bottom