22LR Accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no general guidelines of .22s for all guns as they seem to be the pickiest on ammunition for any one gun in any caliber. I have one bolt .22 rifle that loves WIN standard velocity target ammunition, but is nearly as good with Blazer lead, which my other .22 rifles hate. Remington bulk .22 is usually the worst of the worst, except for a model 63 smith revolver that shoots it into one hole. My 2206 chokes on Rem .22 and loves Federal Auto. Smith M&P .22 prefers CCI minimag.
I have an old Model 17 8" .22 revolver that shoots its favorite ammo into one hole at 25yd from a rest, which is better than many .22 rifles and most handguns.
I just try all I have with a new .22 and see what it tells me. I start with standard vel when accuracy matters most, and sometimes I get a surprise. Good Luck.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an accurized Jennings .22 that I can consistently keep 1" groups at 372 yards with, but only when using Remington "Golden Bullets". Master Rijas said it was one of his finest creations.

I keed, I keed! Mighty Mouse may be able to help you, I believe that he's up to snuff on .22 accuracy.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrel length among other things will make a difference from rifle to rifle. Maybe post everything you can about your rig so the folks here can give you more specific help.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mightymouse doesn't so much "shoot" .22lr as he simply breathes on his Anschutz's trigger and the round goes down range to superimpose itself on the remains of an errant fly that has had the misfortune to land on somewhere on his target. I do believe however, that he favors match grade stuff like Eley and Tenex over the cheap bulk pack junk ammo that most of us use to shoot "at" targets with.

Aside from that, the others here have posted correct info given what is known at this time.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester ammo does not feed in any of my semi-autos, and Remington bulk pack works well in the same guns. Weird how that works.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
3D49C40B-A9B8-4E56-BBE8-CA39FA3893FD.jpeg

I just bought one box, but there’s a lot of federal match ammo on sale at the a ademy in Yukon today. And the federal high velocity match was $3.68

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Rod Snell pointed out, 22 accuracy is very ammo dependent and can vary greatly from gun to gun. Average factory rimfire guns like a 10/22 probably will shoot CCI Standard a little better than Golden Bullet bulk but may not show a significant improvement with Federal Match, Ely, or SK, ect. while a custom or semi-custom rimfire may show significant improvement with the expensive stuff. My .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom