22LR Ammo and Pistol Comparison (22/45 vs SW22)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great write up! Thank you for sharing!

I used to have a S&W 41 and a S&W 2206. The 41 would only run on match grade ammo. Really accurate pistol ... but so was the 2206 and it would run on any ammo. Ended up selling both and getting a Buckmark.
That reminds me! I can borrow a S&W 41 from a friend, I'll test it next time I get a chance!

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was all from a rest, I have a plastic MTM rest like this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/913106/mtm-front-rifle-shooting-rest
That also works well for pistols, you can rest the barrel and grip on the rest and then just concentrate on keeping the same sight picture for each shot. I found a bunch of different match ammo at the Stillwater Academy for reasonable prices, I didn't buy the $15 for 50 rounds stuff! If it was less than $10/50 then I bought some of that. I also bought the top 2 or 3 that were from the Guns & Ammo article, that was the Wolf Match and Armsco stuff, found those online.
I think the next nice day I'll repeat the test with just the top 4 or 5 types. A cold front came through while I was out there and it started getting cold and windy so I may have rushed the last few tests. I think the S&W is more accurate than the Ruger but maybe that compensator on the Ruger could be throwing it off a bit? The S&W has a nice looking crown, that compensator on the Ruger doesn't look so uniform. I'll take it off next test and see if the Ruger does better.

I would definitely try it without the comp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom