22LR for carry...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone is wearing a leather coat or several layers of clothing, the .22 anything may have issues. Velocity as has been reported is way lower than the advertised number coming from a pistol. User beware. It doesn't matter if you can put 10 rounds in quick order into the center mass if it can't penetrate to the vitals.
Obese individuals with nothing other than a tshirt have been shot with a .22lr with zero effect. OKC news did a report of a drive by shooting where a guy took a .22 round to the gut, and was standing there talking to a reporter waiting on an ambulance. He was laughing it off.
If I were going to use a .22 for home defense, it would be to train for face shots.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone is wearing a leather coat or several layers of clothing, the .22 anything may have issues. Velocity as has been reported is way lower than the advertised number coming from a pistol. User beware. It doesn't matter if you can put 10 rounds in quick order into the center mass if it can't penetrate to the vitals.
Obese individuals with nothing other than a tshirt have been shot with a .22lr with zero effect. OKC news did a report of a drive by shooting where a guy took a .22 round to the gut, and was standing there talking to a reporter waiting on an ambulance. He was laughing it off.
If I were going to use a .22 for home defense, it would be to train for face shots.

She does her practice shooting just below the adams apple. It is a soft spot for sure, yes a small target but even close will hurt in that area.

greg1996zz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sort of on the fence between hollow points and copper-plated solid nose though. Heavy, insulated winter overcoats might dampen .22LR hollow points enough to make a difference. I just really don't know.

Gel tests on YouTube indicate that hollow points out of mouse guns won't expand, but the high velocity hp's, like stingers, do give better penetration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom