22lr for SHTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had to leave town in a hurry, why wouldn't you grab a 10/22 or other 22 rifle and all the mags and ammo you could carry, vs trying to haul your 308, 5.56, 12 gauge, etc.? Obviously if you had some time and had a bugout location to haul your stuff to, you would probably take everything you could. But in a pinch, why would you reach for anything else other than a 22lr rifle, 22lr pistol, and a 9mm pistol as your emergency options?

Especially if you had multiple 22lr rifles??? Would there be an advantage to grabbing 2-3 of them and all the ammo? And if 5.56 is still favored, then the 5.56 seems more like a good option to replace 308...maybe have a mini 14 or AR in your stash but only used for longer ranges or as a camp defense rifle?

The more I think of it, I don't see 308 being of any value over 22lr and/or 5.56 in a true survival situation, unless you lived in western OK and had a crew of guys with binoculars watching your camp that you never planned to leave.

Lotta questions here, but I am just trying to see what others think.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to add to my own reply here and ask what about going

- 9mm carbine/AR
- 9mm combat grade pistol
- 22 semi rifle
- 22 pistol of some kind

And then just only having to stock and haul those two cartridges for SHTF? It would seem the 5.56 and above is more if you were in a war but not just trying to avoid trouble? If you had 3-4 people armed with 22's and 9mm's that would be a decent defense would it not?

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is great value in a rimfire gun for shtf, however it dang sure shouldn't be your only option...unless you simply don't own anything else. they can be good for food sourcing, 10'000 rounds can fit in a backpack. Not too good for defense, but better than a stick by far.
What about a 9mm carbine vs 5.56?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like more common calibers, may be easier to find like 5.62 and 9 mm. However tough to find fault with those that may prefer .22 LR, light weight, much ammo may be carried easily and the firearms are lightweight too. However that lead me to think of less common calibers like 22 magnum and 5.7 X 28. Much more punch than .22 LR, and a lot of ammo fits into a small amount of space and little weight. Hate to say this, but one could have an unlimited amount of ammo and the most accurate rifle ever and be double tapped within the first 10 minutes of a SHTF scenario. Not saying you haven't been training, and not in a good position, but first have a weapon you can use, 2nd Train, third Train. Hate to admit it but on the 2nd two rules I am a bit light...

Also, have a bugout bag and a plan...

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like more common calibers, may be easier to find like 5.62 and 9 mm. However tough to find fault with those that may prefer .22 LR, light weight, much ammo may be carried easily and the firearms are lightweight too. However that lead me to think of less common calibers like 22 magnum and 5.7 X 28. Much more punch than .22 LR, and a lot of ammo fits into a small amount of space and little weight. Hate to say this, but one could have an unlimited amount of ammo and the most accurate rifle ever and be double tapped within the first 10 minutes of a SHTF scenario. Not saying you haven't been training, and not in a good position, but first have a weapon you can use, 2nd Train, third Train. Hate to admit it but on the 2nd two rules I am a bit light...

Also, have a bugout bag and a plan...
I REALLY hope that conservative Christians will have a unified way to deal with SHTF because we will be at a disadvantage being unwilling to do awful things to stay alive. The whole "not knowing who you are dealing with" problem is probably a big reason why a lot of good people will meet their demise; especially if family is at risk. Maybe an American flag patch with a cross in the middle would work as an identifier for SHTF whether you are dealing with OSA-type folks or methhead scum?

Last edited:

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some really good points to ponder. So I've been pondering. The single six would be the side arm I would chose. I would want something concealable, I want to "fly under the radar" so to speak. Don't want to get into confrontations, avoidance and situational awareness are my mantra. Whenever I watch TV shows about being alone or survival, one thing always comes up, food or lack of it. This is where I believe the .22 or 22 mag shines, not so much is the personal protection arena. Although, a 22mag from 6 1/2 barrel could certainly deter a fellow, I would think.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some really good points to ponder. So I've been pondering. The single six would be the side arm I would chose. I would want something concealable, I want to "fly under the radar" so to speak. Don't want to get into confrontations, avoidance and situational awareness are my mantra. Whenever I watch TV shows about being alone or survival, one thing always comes up, food or lack of it. This is where I believe the .22 or 22 mag shines, not so much is the personal protection arena. Although, a 22mag from 6 1/2 barrel could certainly deter a fellow, I would think.
Yeah the 22 is quieter and can hunt food, but for that I have a good supply of pellets and various pellet guns. I have a 22 air carbine called the Crosman Dooms Day kit (they still make a variation of it) that fits in a backpack and can easily take small game quietly. Some would even argue the 1322 pistol is the best choice for this being even more compact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom