22lr for SHTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own a 22lr...(I know, I'm a bad person), but if SHTF tomorrow, I would grab my AR, my CZ 75, and my S&W Model 27. I'd probably also have my Sig P229 in my Crossbreed Supertuck. If SHTF a few months from now, A Mossberg MVP Scout .308 might replace the AR.
Thank you sir...I wasn't even aware of that Mossberg and might consider one. I wish they made it in a semi-auto but maybe the bolt is better? What are most scout rifles?
I believe it is Syrian Orthodox militia. I did have a friend who's father was an officer in a Lebanese Christian militia
Well after what our neo-cons and Democrats did overthrowing Qaddafi and sending hordes of weapons and Al Nusra into their country to kill them, I can't say I blame them too much for organizing. They are the least worrisome people in that region as far as militants go and I believe hundreds of thousands of their people were displace or killed.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own a 22lr...(I know, I'm a bad person), but if SHTF tomorrow, I would grab my AR, my CZ 75, and my S&W Model 27. I'd probably also have my Sig P229 in my Crossbreed Supertuck. If SHTF a few months from now, A Mossberg MVP Scout .308 might replace the AR.
Would you rather have the scout rail or the patrol rail on that rifle? I can't get over how goofy the scout scopes look mounted so far forward...thoughts anyone?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely think a 22 lr should be in everyone’s SHTF arsenal, but it won’t be a major player in mine. The rifle I shoot the most now is my Alexander Arms 17 hmr AR, and it’s proven to be very useful at killing small and not so small game.

For long guns, I believe I can get by with my 12 ga over 308 combo gun and the 17hmr AR.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you rather have the scout rail or the patrol rail on that rifle? I can't get over how goofy the scout scopes look mounted so far forward...thoughts anyone?
I agree….odd looking at first….but after buying my 308 with the scout scope I love it. It’s almost like a red dot. Very quick target acquisition with both eyes open yet a little magnification as well

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a dumb question since I have never fired any, but would not 223 subsonic work as well as 22lr on small game?

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a dumb question since I have never fired any, but would not 223 subsonic work as well as 22lr on small game?
Depends on the bullet weight, but assuming a 40 grain bullet, a sub would be ballistically identical, virtually speaking, to a 22lr. Actually a bit weaker, assuming we're talking about rifles. It would be about equivalent to a .22 from a revolver. 223 subs are going to be in the 80gr range though, so they would pack quite a bit more punch.

Disclaimer though, don't ever shoot 223 subs. Many have tried, and all have failed. The cases are too big, and even with the bigger bullets and bulky powders it's just too much dead space. Every attempt at making 223 subs has ended in squibs. Luckily as far as I know everybody felt the lack of recoil and checked the barrel before firing another shot, preventing a kaboom. Squibs are fun and games in something low pressure like a 45, but they can do serious damage in a small bore high energy rifle caliber like 223.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dig the scout rail
Yeah I think for the same price I would get the scout rail version and then still have the option to mount a regular scope...the patrol version has a better rear sight, but still seem less versatile.

But can you use a scout scope for deer hunting okay?

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the bullet weight, but assuming a 40 grain bullet, a sub would be ballistically identical, virtually speaking, to a 22lr. Actually a bit weaker, assuming we're talking about rifles. It would be about equivalent to a .22 from a revolver. 223 subs are going to be in the 80gr range though, so they would pack quite a bit more punch.

Disclaimer though, don't ever shoot 223 subs. Many have tried, and all have failed. The cases are too big, and even with the bigger bullets and bulky powders it's just too much dead space. Every attempt at making 223 subs has ended in squibs. Luckily as far as I know everybody felt the lack of recoil and checked the barrel before firing another shot, preventing a kaboom. Squibs are fun and games in something low pressure like a 45, but they can do serious damage in a small bore high energy rifle caliber like 223.
Regarding the portion in red, absolutely false. I don't know who told you that but they don't know their anus from their elbow and I'd be more than happy to prove them wrong. I have subsonic loads for 7 different caliber rifles ranging from the .223 up to .444 Marlin. I'll meet them at a range, rifles, ammo and chronograph in hand. I shoot 10 rounds from each over the chrony to prove the subsonic speed. Each shot exiting the barrel and showing sub speed, they lose $100, any shot not exiting or going supersonic they win $100.....10 shots per caliber, cash on the barrelhead for each shot string.

Latest posts

Top Bottom