22lr for SHTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Midway USA sells sub sonic .223 ammo and in stock right now.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016549622?pid=189480
I have shot many sub sonic .223 loads with 55 V max and Red Dot powder.
They will pass through a 2x4. Good enough.
They will not cycle an AR but to me that is not a deal breaker.

Red Dot powder is my go to for sub sonic ammo.
I have a load with a 100gr powder coated bullet in .308 that will pass through a 2x4 and then some.
664 fps and the brass case does not need resized.

No neck sizing or anything. So the brass will last virtually forever.
I have dug a fired bullet out of a tree and stuck it back into the case and fired it again.

It is a super fun load to shoot.
.3cc Red Dot go to .5 cc and you need to resize the case.
I have shot these in 4 different .308 rifles and all of them love it.
.22 cal pellet powered only by a shotgun primer in a modified .223 round with an AR will penetrate completely through a 2X4 as well, and it's very quiet.
I did a test project with this a couple years ago with pics on this forum.
Not for SD but would work just fine for plinking small game. 500 pellets and 500 primers weigh basically nothing.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 cal pellet powered only by a shotgun primer in a modified .223 round with an AR will penetrate completely through a 2X4 as well, and it's very quiet.
Not for SD but would work just fine for plinking small game. 500 pellets and 500 primers weigh basically nothing.
That's pretty cool. I'd never heard of that. A quick search will show how it's done. I don't see any advantage to a 22 conversion kit but it's one more idea and from a purely academic standpoint a cool project. One more information arrow in the quiver is always good. Thanks

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, that reminds Mike. You know how Walther P22s are known for being really finicky with ammo. I bought a brick of CCI 22LR Suppressor ammo and it runs flawlessly.
I love the P22, I have one of those limited edition ones where you can swap out the barrel lengths. I usually keep it in the 5inch length and it's not picky with ammo. I can even shoot the 710 fps CCI Quiet with a suppressor after a good clean and lube.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think @swampratt already hit this but
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016549622/
https://beckammunition.com/ammunition/subsonic-ammo/223-subsonic
I don’t think dudes getting rich coz the nut’s been cracked
Maybe it has and I'm just out of the loop. All I know is I followed it pretty closely for years as each new company would come out with what they claimed was safe, and then like two weeks later someone would be on youtube showing it squib. When the major ammo manufacturers get on board is when I'll be convinced it's actually safe.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before of ever hearing of this I tried it in the 22 hornet about 10 years ago, but kept with the small primer, not to ruin my case.

It had a decent smack, and was relativly quiet from a 10" contender.

Surprisingly, I just saw those modified 223 cases for sale somewhere just the other day. Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before of ever hearing of this I tried it in the 22 hornet about 10 years ago, but kept with the small primer, not to ruin my case.

It had a decent smack, and was relativly quiet from a 10" contender.

Surprisingly, I just saw those modified 223 cases for sale somewhere just the other day. Lol
Yes, I copied the design and did a little engineering on my part when building several of the .223 rounds since I have a lathe available. Made it pretty quick with the correct reamer, drill bit and countersink to make the primer pocket that would accept the 209-shotgun primer and allow it to be removed easily. Then took a small punch to dimple the case neck right at the base to hold the pellet in place.
Some of the YouTube videos say to neck size the case so the pellet can be pressed in but they get a lot of failure's because it's too tight. I left it as fired and used the dimple to contain the pellet. Deforming the neck slightly with the punch held it just fine.
I have buckets of .223 so burning a few cases isn't a problem.
I'd think using the 209 shotgun primer on the Hornet would be too big for the base. It would be interesting to use a large rifle magnum primer though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom