22lr for SHTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 22 LR. 10-22 is good for small game, but I know from some people that have used it to take deer also back in the day during the depression.
I would also consider a good 22 caliber pellet rifle, pellets are cheap and rifle is very quiet. I have one that has taken many tree rats and rabbits(No one even knows your in the woods hunting)
A good 5.56 or other caliber rifle for protection and larger game hunting(Surpressed is better/Not as loud with sub sonic ammunition)
A good shotgun.
A pistol in 9mm or other caliber.
Don't forget spare parts for you firearms.
But in reality if SHTF happens any Firearm you have is better than nothing.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread got me to wondering. Just how many of us really have a bug out bag. Ready to go.....
I know I don't and it would take me a good bit of time to find the ammo to match the gun since
the ammo is not clearly labeled as it should be. And I have no safe. Guns are in 3 different closets,
beds and who knows where. Just a thought.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread got me to wondering. Just how many of us really have a bug out bag. Ready to go.....
I know I don't and it would take me a good bit of time to find the ammo to match the gun since
the ammo is not clearly labeled as it should be. And I have no safe. Guns are in 3 different closets,
beds and who knows where. Just a thought.
First of all, you need a safe. Keep your long guns, unused handguns and loaded mags in. Especially if you have kids in the house.

As to what weapons to grab, a combat rifle in your preferred, easily available caliber. A 9mm handgun and if you can carry the weight, a 357 revolver,

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I was buying quite a bit of ammo.....mostly online....I utilized a promo that Cabelas was doing.....free ammo can with purchase. Ammo is now sorted and stored in those cans and labeled....will be quite easy to grab appropriate or all in short order. Guns are in a Liberty safe......except a couple that I frequently have on my side.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, which 22LR ammo is preferable to go with your SHTF 22LR?
I'd say minimags round nose if you could only pick ONE kind. A lot of factors and the gun itself is one of them, but if you have to choose without considering anything else, that is the one I would choose. About any gun would shoot it well as can be with 22lr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom