22lr for SHTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were going to use a .22 rifle for whatever survival purpose, it would be one of my Henry lever guns. .22S, .22L & .22LR capable. Lever guns don't care about low-power, quiet rounds, either. And they have a respectable capacity.
I’d love to see a takedown Henry with an integrally suppressed barrel option, similar to Ruger’s new 10/22 offering.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for your handloads but it's a pretty big claim to say you've succeeded where commercial ammo manufacturers have failed, especially considering their ability to develop custom powders and put filler in the cases to fill up the left over dead space. If you've found the secret sauce to a safe 223 sub though you could be a rich man.

Think @swampratt already hit this but
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016549622/
https://beckammunition.com/ammunition/subsonic-ammo/223-subsonic
I don’t think dudes getting rich coz the nut’s been cracked

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda bad, but I believe that one can reasonably articulate why they do not own a 9mm. But I do highly suggest buying another gun.

I finally own a 9MM.
I never wanted one but a friend got in a bind and was going to lose his that he pawned.
Told me it was mine if I paid the pawn price.
$56.
I handed him another $20 on top of that.
Well it's just a Hi-Point. I am very impressed with it. 115 or 124 gr handloads at 1100 fps.
And it digests .355 and .357" diameter bullets just perfectly.

For that price I could not say no.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally own a 9MM.
I never wanted one but a friend got in a bind and was going to lose his that he pawned.
Told me it was mine if I paid the pawn price.
$56.
I handed him another $20 on top of that.
Well it's just a Hi-Point. I am very impressed with it. 115 or 124 gr handloads at 1100 fps.
And it digests .355 and .357" diameter bullets just perfectly.

For that price I could not say no.
And it makes a good assault brick when you run out of ammo.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the whole idea of sticking to NATO calibers so you can always find ammo has been blown out the window by the ammo “shortage” the last couple or three years. It sounds good in theory, but when several million people adopted the same mind set, it didn’t pan out like people thought.

Again, in my opinion, I think a resupply during a SHTF is a pipe dream. I believe a person is going to have only what they stocked, so you had better plan ahead or have components and equipment ON HAND to load your own.
Our reasoning was not based on a ammo shortage at the local store.

What you say makes perfect sense, and I will not argue othewise.

But I will say that when the ammo companies was pumping out ammo during the shortage, it seems they focused keeping the lines up mostly making the 9mm, 40s&w, and the 556/223.

Your definately right about having stock, and I would add that best if you have a few boolit molds too.

Primers are the hard part!
Because like I posted here ⬇️ you can make your own powder. Make your own!

Let us not forget the efficiency of the 9mm.
It will do a lot of work with a little powder!

And when it comes to getting stocking up while the getting is good, for the centerfire class the 9mm and 556/223 are generally cheapest.

However to throw something new in the mix.
Airguns

I know someone doing 22, 30 and 45 cal!
While one will not hold the fort with a airgun, I can see their possible use for home based survival.

The 30 and 45 cal take regular cast lead bullets.

They can be used much more discretely.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a cork sniffing Sig, HK, 1911 etc. gun snob. BUT... If the SHTF my go to will always be an AR and a Glock 19. That combo just works.

Heck an AR breaks into two parts small enough to fit several in my Harley if needed.

On foot ounces are pounds. That universal law will hurt you bad.

I do see a lot of value in 22 and bought a CMMG 22 conversion bolt and it came with 3 mags. $209 at Bass Pro or Cabela's and $229 at Sports world. I looked just this week. Simple enough to throw in a bag and works pretty well. One thing people need to know about those is that they run great with a standard hammer but like crap on a Colt notched hammer. I found this out by trial and error with two identical Colt LE6920s. Identical other than I'd put in a nicer trigger in one. Not surprisingly if I'd RTFM it said so in the instructions. Doh!

Another thing about the 22 conversion kit is that you need to figure out how fast 22 drops compared to 5.56. 22 drops shockingly fast. You need to test it so you'll know how many clicks up to adjust your Aimpoint/Eotech or whatever. Being doped in for .5.56 at 100-200 yards will put 22 in the dirt at 60-70 yards.

I think the 22 conversion route works best for me to put a 22 in my options. My Colt LE6920 is set up to fight at night and that's not something I'm willing to give up. My 5.56 suppressor would do amazing things with a 22 too. Not going to do that now as it will gum it all up with lead but in a SHTF scenario everything changes.

Besides an AR or whatever you pick as your MBR I think being able to see at night is the next most important thing. Even if you aren't shooting it allows you to do chores or move when others can't. If someone else is using NV with an IR light they'll stick out like they're holding a road flare. You'll easily see that. Maybe everyone can't afford a new Gen-3 PVS-14 but even the cheap hand held units give you the ability to at least see.

picklacat

Marksman
Reaction score
That CP33 Looks Good As an All Around Flexible Pistol..
MLoc- 33 Round Magazine, Picatinny Rail Across Entire Top.
Thinking About One For The Wife, As It Would Be A Lot Of Shots Before The Hassle Of Reloads
Had Thought About A Ruger .22 Charger 10/22 Pistol For Her, But With The Change In Brace Laws....

Me Right Now
PVS7D NVGs.. Older, But Still Very Functional For The Dollars..
It Gets Inky Black In The Triple Canopy Of Louisiana Bayou Country..
But Bright With NODs On My Property
10/22 Poly-Stock As I, AND The Wild Is HARD On Wood.
GSG Firefly .22
CCI MiniMags A Case Of 10Bx Of 300 Is Small For 3000Rds...
AND
1917 9mm Artillery Luger(Not Covered NFA Stock Rules)... A Bit More Thump, Not As Reliable As I Would Like.
If My ARs In 7.62x39 Were Just Too Heavy For Where I Was Running To.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom